Wednesday, July 11, 2018

New Hampshire - Day 10 - Dartmouth

Newfound RV Park
Tuesday, 10 June 2018


today's route
From somewhere I'd heard about some frescoes in the basement of the library at Dartmouth College and decided to go take a look.  I wasn't actually sure what a fresco was (turns out it's a type of painting) and anyway wanted to take a look at Dartmouth.

I found them surprisingly easily, thanks to a knowledgeable man in the car park booth on campus.  I'm attaching some explanation here frescoes as there's a lot that went into making them.  I took photos of all of them and will attach them here in the order as they went around the main room at the library.
#1
#2
#3
#4











#5

#6










#7

#8










#10

#9













#11
#13


#12


I'm not sure I'd have wanted to do much studying with these things looming over me, but they're amazing.

On top of that, being in a college I learned something.  I've never been able to figure out how to turn off the flash on my camera, and the library has a sign that says please no flash to help preserve the paintings.  So I explained my problem to the very young young woman at the library desk and she figured it out instantly.  Oh to have been born in this generation.  So now I know too.  It's very exciting.

planetarium
library
Dartmouth is a lovely campus, by the way.  The town, Hanover, is smack on the Connecticut River and there's clearly a lot of rowing going on there.  I was lucky to be there when the usual class sessions were out so I could find a parking place with not much problem, but it looked like they had a bunch of young (high school) visitors getting tours and orientations.  I also met many young women who were on sports teams - volleyball and maybe soccer - anyway they were delighted to pat the puppies.

When I was driving in Vermont I had very little problem finding a public radio station, and it often was New Hampshire Public Radio.  Now that I'm in New Hampshire I'm having quite a bit of trouble finding one.  Maybe it's the mountains?  Anyway, I could pick one up intermittently on my drive over and back and learned that New Hampshire is a manufacturing-based state, which surprised me, and what they mostly manufacture is software and tech components.  Also that 200,000 NH jobs are directly related to their exports.  Who'd've thunk it?

I've also noticed that the New England accents are much more pronounced in New Hampshire than in Vermont.  I have no idea why that would be but that's what I've been finding.  I've tried to pinpoint what makes the accent recognizable and I just haven't been able to do it.  It's a sort of Kennedy-type but not really.

No comments:

Post a Comment