Tuesday, July 31, 2018

New Hampshire - Day 31

Ramblewood Cabins and Campground
Tuesday, 31 July 2018

I decided to take another day off.  I already visited the lakes I'd planned to see today and have a beautiful view of one of them.  And I can see that tomorrow's drive across New Hampshire and halfway across Maine is likely to be a long one - it's secondary and tertiary roads almost the whole way. 

Tomorrow I'll be staying at a KOA for its mail pick-up services, but even though it's the cheapest one in Maine it's still a lot more than I want to pay for a second night.  Which means I'll need to move on the following day with little time to rest.

I'm starting to understand that my body can't keep up with my interest level.  I continue to enjoy the places I visit and look forward to seeing more, but there's only so much traveling around I can do before my energy level falls too low.

Living in this RV is far easier than a tent, of course, but it's still a lot closer to nature than our house back in Austin, and I think that's starting to take a toll on my aging body.  I'm more likely to notice my arthritis, for instance, than I used to.

Given all that, I decided to take another day off and rest up.

There are some trails the dogs and I are exploring in the campground area, lots of berries coming out, blueberries and raspberries being most visible now.  Early this morning we walked part way down to the lake, which is half a mile away, but it's all down a steep hill, meaning the way back is up a steep hill, and Gracie has as much trouble with hills as I do.  Unfortunately, they don't slow Dexter down a bit.  I don't think anything slows him down.  Though I still have hopes that age will do that - in about 5 years (he's 3 now).

It's pretty today and quiet and peaceful here.

No comments:

Post a Comment