Thursday, July 5, 2018

New Hampshire - Day 4

Riverbend Campground
Wednesday, 4 July 2018
Happy Independence Day!

Somebody set off a few fireworks yesterday evening and scared Gracie (of course).  I've been planning to put her ThunderShirt on her today but the heat is back.  Gracie still has her winter coat and obviously feels the heat, and I figure putting the Shirt on her would keep in the heat even more.  I'll just wait and see, I guess, rather than take preventive measures as I'd planned.

About 9:30 this morning Dexter threw up, which he very rarely does.  It was around 80° inside the RV already - though cooler outside - but the dogs made it clear they didn't want to be outside so I went ahead and turned on the AC.  Hated to do it so early but didn't want to think my critters were getting sick from the heat.

The mosquitoes here remind me of those in Alaska - big and slow, making them much easier to kill.  But there are a whole lot of them - I killed 3 that were actually biting me (not just flying around) within 3 minutes of stepping outside.  I thought that was excessive.

I'm not really seeing black flies here, but I'm seeing a LOT of something that I think are deer flies.  I had to look them up on line so I'm not sure, but that's what I think they are.  When we go out for walks, each of the dogs will have 2 or 3 swarming around their heads.  With me they don't fly around, they just land - I can feel them - and they don't get off unless I push them off.  When I'm letting the dogs back into the RV I have to check carefully for these flies trying to hitchhike in.

The latest weather forecast is for much more of the same tomorrow, when I was planning to leave.  And another heat advisory tomorrow.  Given the way the critters are acting with the heat, I think I'll just plan to stay here another day.  New Hampshire's a small state, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment