Sunday, July 29, 2018

New Hampshire - Day 29

White Birches Camping Park
Sunday, 29 July 2018

I don't know why but I've been really tired lately.  Maybe I'm anemic and need to eat more raisins.  Anyway, I gave up my plan of driving all around the Presidential Range - I'd already been all along the eastern side of it and I was sure the traffic would be fierce on a sunny Sunday and I just felt too tired.

The two things I regret missing: (1) the town of Harts Location (population 43), NH's smallest town - 11 miles long and 1½ miles wide; (2) Bretton Woods, where the IMF and World Bank were created in 1944.  Next trip to NH, I guess.

This campground has to be one of the weirdest I've stayed at so far.  It's really nice in some ways - heavily wooded campsites and, when you can get a view, beautiful mountains, activities for children.  But.  There's only 1 shower for the entire 127 campsites, and that's back at the entrance, a long way from where I am.  The husband of the pair of owners checked me in and, in every contact then and since has been borderline rude.  Every time I see him he stares at me kind of bug-eyed as if he thinks I'm doing something bizarre.   The first site they gave me was really hard for me to get to because of the aforementioned trees.

See?  Nice trees.  And very narrow road.  My side mirrors barely cleared the trees on either side.  And it was going downhill.  And there are tree roots everywhere making navigating the roads harder.

So after the first night I went into the office and asked if they had another site available and the wife basically said what's wrong with that one, even big rigs can get in there, and I said I'm sure they can but it was hard for me and I'd like to move.  And she argued for a bit and then suddenly (apparently) remembered not to argue with customers who have prepaid for 3 nights and came up with 2 alternatives and asked her husband to take me up to look at them.

So on the way up he wanted to argue with me about there being nothing wrong with the site and I had and big rigs got up there all the time, and I kept saying I know they do but I'm not comfortable with it.  What's their problem, I kept thinking but tactfully (despite everyone who knows me believing I'm never tactful) didn't say.  And one of the alternates looked marginally easier to get to and I said so.

And on the way back the husband went down that narrow trail telling me all the time how it wasn't a problem and that I should have been just fine because everybody else was.  Apparently he'd never heard of the "customer is always right" theory.  Meanwhile, I didn't care what everybody else did, I just knew what I didn't want to do if there were an alternative.  Which there was.  I went back and told the wife and she said fine no problem (having remembered the theory).  Just weird.

And then, it being a Saturday in July, the entire campground filled up with mostly dog owners, making it almost impossible for me to walk my idiots.  There's always something.

Today, however, all the weekenders started packing up at dawn and now my end of the campground is much emptier.  So I'll go walk the dogs soon.

I'm spending some of this extra time working on where to stay in Maine, only 3 days from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment