Thursday, July 5, 2018

New Hampshire - Day 5

Riverbend Campground
Thursday, 5 July 2018

If we had fireworks last night, I didn't hear them so I'm glad I didn't put the ThunderShirt on Gracie.  She'd have been too hot for nothing.

This morning I woke up before 2:00 and couldn't get back to sleep and finally just got up around 2:30.  But what that meant was that for the first time in months I got to see some stars.  Not many, as it turned out, and they seemed so high up they were more like pinpricks of light than like the stars I'm used to.  I don't understand why.  But it meant I couldn't really pick out any constellations.  That and the trees around here are fairly tall and thick so the sky is relatively small.  Daylight still comes really early up here, making stargazing impossible for an early-to-bedder like me.

But I did see Mars, which I thought was pretty exciting.  That must be what it was - it seemed to be by itself not too far from the horizon (where the daylight was starting to grow) and it was big and it was definitely red.  Very neat.

Hardly having set a toe outside this campground for days, I don't know what's going on with the area's tourism, but I'm guessing there are a lot of people out there.  I absolutely have to go out tomorrow - I'll be out of cat food and milk (for coffee), and I really want to fill the prescription for my blood pressure medicine.

Today it was Gracie who threw up, which she doesn't usually do.  On her bed, so I had to haul it outside and try to wash it out - but on the plus side, it's so sunny and hot I don't have to worry about it getting dry by bedtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment