Monday, July 23, 2018

New Hampshire - Day 21 - Concord

Wellington Camping Park, near Portsmouth
Saturday, 21 July 2018

I was right, Jasper's time had indeed come.  He died during the night.  Thoughtfully, he saved me the cost of the euthanasia, and I called PetsMart to commute the appointment into body disposal.
today's route
Since I no longer had the stress of dealing with my poor kitty, I decided to spend a little time in downtown Concord while I was there.  Specifically I wanted to find that glittering dome I'd seen the other day.  And I found it, and it was indeed the capitol.











See?  Glittering, right?

I'm guessing this is a sample of the Concord Grey granite I mentioned the other day.  And there're many more.

I don't really have any way of knowing for sure but I'm betting these are all made of Concord Grey granite.
state library

legislative office building

New Hampshire Historical Society
As we all know, New Hampshire is proud of its first-in-the-nation primary.  This marker is in front of the state library.

Downtown Concord is very attractive.  In the space of 5 or 6 blocks of the main street I didn't see one vacancy and I saw only 1 chain store - a CVS.  All the others were local stores.  Amazing these days.

Just to the left of my photo of the capitol the street was blocked off for a farmer's market, and the place was packed.  Unfortunately, something there terrified Gracie.  I tried really hard to walk her and Dexter around these buildings and grassy areas but she just kept trying to strangle herself trying to go elsewhere.  I finally gave up.  I don't know - I heard some little kids shrieking in that way they do when they're having fun, and that often sets her off.

I saw a license plate that said CAFIEND.

The road I took east from Concord was heavily treed - many of them maples.  This whole area must be gorgeous in the fall.

My plan is to stay at this next campground for most of a week, making daily forays into the area.

Roscoe's suddenly gotten a lot more affectionate without Jasper here.

No comments:

Post a Comment