Monday, December 24, 2018

New Jersey - Days 20 & 21

Clarksboro KOA
Thursday, 20 and Friday, 21 December 2018

Thursday began with the TV weather person saying, "Red sky in the morning, sailor take warning" (he really said that) and showing a live camera shot of sunrise at Cape May with a stunning red sky.  It was beautiful.  But hard to seem anything but ominous after that introduction.

And sure enough, we spent much of these last 2 days dealing with some of what much of the eastern half of the US has been dealing with: rain.  We only got about 1½" here, nothing like the 4" my cousin Karen got east of Jacksonville, FL.  But it came down steadily for much of these 2 days and was enough to turn much of the campground into a mud puddle.

Friday evening I realized that beautiful full moon I could now see was happening on Winter Solstice.  Does that have any significance?  Other than lighting the way for winter to officially begin, I mean.

This afternoon I went over to take a shower and, after waiting in vain about 15 minutes for hot water to show up, I got dressed again and went back to the RV to get my phone and called the office for help.  The Help discovered that a breaker switch that was unlabeled had clicked off for unknown reason, and it turned out to be the key to heating up water for the showers.  They told me to give it an hour because it was a really big water tank that had to heat up.  A real nuisance but I did eventually get a nice hot shower and the hope that I saved anybody else from the inconvenience.

I spent a good amount of time trying to figure out destinations for sightseeing and highway routes for getting there.  I can't just assume anything is open this time of year and have to check each place for availability, is part of what takes so long.

Mostly I just puttered around and got little stuff done, in between rain bursts and dog walking.  The dogs don't much like being in the rain but are willing to put up with it over the boredom of sitting inside for hours on end.  Then I get to dry them off, and then dry out the towels I used to dry them off.  It's fun for the entire family.

And the only reason I stayed in camp rather than going sightseeing is that rain.  Given the forecast and what I'd seen happening in other parts of the country, I just didn't want to try driving in it or try seeing sights through it.  Seemed better to waste the time in safety than on the road with these drivers.

No comments:

Post a Comment