Sunday, December 30, 2018

New Jersey - Day 28

Clarksboro KOA
Friday, 28 December 2018

That weather system that dumped feet of snow in the mid-West and feet of rain in the South arrived here.  By contrast, we got off fairly lightly: it rained all day long, without intermission, but it only poured every now and then.  I don't know what the final total was for this area, but probably not more than a couple inches.  Definitely goopy but not all that hard to live with.

Yet another reason to bring rubber boots on a trip like this.  It was hard to find any area of exposed pavement here in the campground because everything was under water - but the trick was to find puddles that weren't inches deep.  The dogs were wading along the roadway here and there.  But I brought plenty of old towels, and the heater worked overtime trying to dry them - and the dogs - out between walks, so it was all okay.

The sort of day that makes you just want to go back to bed and read a book, though I tried instead to get stuff organized around here.  Organization is a lot harder in a tiny space and really requires not having very much stuff to organize.  I thought I brought very little on this trip, but at least a quarter of that turns out not to be needed.  So I keep it in the below-cabin storage area and wait to get back to my storage unit in Texas to dump it.  It's stuff I actually like so I don't want to get rid of it forever - just want to get it out of the RV for now.

I have only 3 days left in New Jersey and am trying to figure out an attraction I can actually get to in the abbreviated daylight this time of year, that stands a chance of not being subject to a shutdown, and then figure out which day I'll go.

I spent quite a bit of time today finding out which campgrounds in Delaware are open during January.  Many more than in New Jersey, it turns out, but all very high-priced except the 5 state campgrounds, which are downright cheap this time of year.  I stayed in 2 of them when I was coming north last spring and remember them as being really nice campgrounds. 

Delaware, like New Jersey, limits the number of pets per campsite to 2, but I had 4 when I stayed there before and nobody said anything so I'm going to chance it again with 3.  I figure as long as the cat stays indoors, how can she be a burden on the campground?  The dogs more than do their share of being a burden, though I do clean up after them - and after other people's dogs too so I don't step in their leavings. 

Anyway, I'll hope to be able to move around a little more than this month, staying in campgrounds in different parts of Delaware (like there's a big distance between them).  And I remember that even in March the campgrounds didn't have many campers, which may be why I skated by with my 4 pets.  Hope that holds in January.

No comments:

Post a Comment