Thursday, December 6, 2018

New Jersey - Day 6

Clarksboro KOA
Thursday, 6 December 2018

The weather prediction I heard a few days ago was that today the temps would be in the lower 40s, but this morning they're saying probably not out of the 30s.  All the snow on the roads froze overnight, and I cut our early morning walk short because I was having trouble staying on my feet.  Especially the way Dexter pulls when he gets excited (meaning almost all the time).

Most of the snow evaporated during the day, but I still see patches that will probably freeze again tonight.

I'm still resisting buying an insulated water hose because of not wanting to find room to store it for the 10 months of the year I won't need it.  I'm hoping it'll be a mild enough winter that I can get by on just keeping water in my on-board tank and using my water pump (and hoping it doesn't break down again). 

The forecast is for below freezing at night for the next full week, but then maybe it'll warm up enough to plug my hose back in.  Of course, it's still just December and there's a good 2-3 months of winter weather to look forward to, but always optimistic, that's me.

On the other hand, one of the KOA staff told me the Farmer's Almanac has predicted an unusually cold winter, and the Farmer's Almanac is pretty trustworthy, they say.

For anybody who's been wondering, Lily's starting to get used to the dogs.
 You can see here that she's decided being warm is more important than keeping her distance from Dexter.  Big breakthrough, I thought.

She's also getting to know her environment.
 
In addition to my bedroom window, she likes sitting in front of the window by the upper bunk.  I'd say she's explored every area of the RV now except the kitchen.  And she wants to check that out, clearly, because I can sometimes see her measuring the jumping distance between the table and the countertop.  So far I've caught her before she jumps, and I don't think she's trying it at night - mostly it's just when she wants something to eat and I've got food over there.

I'm beginning to get the feeling that I'll be missing a lot of NJ, just like I missed a lot of CT, because of the weather and that's a shame.  There's a lot I want to see but there's no possible way I'm driving on icy roads if I can avoid it.  I guess I'll just see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment