Thursday, December 20, 2018

New Jersey - Day 18

Clarksboro KOA
Tuesday, 18 December 2018

I took the dogs down to Pitman for a few hours of day care, then drove into Paulsboro to a hardware store.

A couple of days ago, I took apart the bathroom sink because the drain was getting clogged and I hadn't been able to unclog it without taking it apart.  Which was fine until I put it back together and discovered that I needed some caulk or something, because it was leaking. 

I couldn't easily find a hardware store yesterday so did an internet search for one near the campground.  It was just what I wanted - a basic hometown been-there-forever hardware store.  And an owner who was happy to pull enough pertinent information out of me to diagnose that what I needed was plumber's putty.  Very nice man, very patient with idiot customers.  He was even happy to explain to me how to use it, which is a good thing because I didn't have a clue.

Back to the campground Lily and I went.  And by the way, I mentioned the other day that she stores herself behind the TV when we're driving - and here's proof.
It's her choice entirely.  I guess a small space makes her feel more secure.

Thanks to the hardware guy's instructions, I easily fixed the sink drain and can now report no drips or leaks, a fully functioning drain, and a lot (most of 14 ounces) of plumber's putty that I hope I never need again.

Then I put on Christmas music and wrapped presents and located Christmas movies and generally felt a little seasonal cheer.  Quite a few of the campers here have decorated at least a little for Christmas, but this isn't quite what I think of as the right atmosphere for Christmas.  But that's probably just snobbery.  I've always been lucky enough to have an actual dwelling place - either mine or my family's - unlike so many families these days who are homeless.  There are several families with children who are here at the campground all winter, so their young Christmas experiences won't be like mine.  I guess home is what you make it.

On the way back to get the dogs I stopped at a Heritage Dairy Store.  I'd never heard of them before for the excellent reason that they are only in New Jersey, according to the store clerk.  She said the milk and dairy products used to come from a farm nearby but now come from Pennsylvania.  I can say that the milk's good.

New Jersey is another state that doesn't' have a town named Randolph.  And I was on such a roll for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment