Sunday, September 30, 2018

Massachusetts - Day 30

Sippewissett Campground
Sunday, 30 September 2018

My last day in Massachusetts, and I need desperately to do laundry and generally straighten things out before tackling a different state.

The family who own this campground have sold it, and all their seasonal people have been notified to move their trailers by November 1st.  I've wondered from time to time about the “seasonal” places I’ve seen at these campgrounds, because quite a few of them looked like they haven’t moved in years, even though the majority of the New England campgrounds close in the fall.  Now I know – they haven’t moved.

But they’re moving now and it’s interesting to watch.  People all around me are dismantling the various outdoor accessories they’ve put up over the years, they’re hiring professional trailer movers to detach them and cart them out, they’re pressure washing them and repairing them – these trailers haven’t looked this good in years.

The campground’s still getting a lot of business, though.  The spot I’m in used to be rented by a seasonal who’s moved out, and I’m seeing that at several of the vacated sites.  I’ve been here now for a week and a half so am getting fairly familiar with who’s new and who’s long-term.

This campground doesn’t all dogs until after Labor Day, and much of the time I’ve been here mine have been the only dogs.  On weekends, though, it’s different – more people are coming in on weekend camping trips and the seasonals are paying visits to their campers, and a lot of them are bringing dogs.

I had an unfortunate run-in with one of them 2 nights ago when Dexter decided there was something horribly wrong with the man’s dog and made a serious attempt to attack it.  The whole thing was a mess and of course made me very nervous about walking the dogs.  That’s the main reason we left so early yesterday morning and stayed gone much of the day – I’d already walked the dogs really early but I wanted to take them someplace else to do any more walking.

Last night I went over to the man’s campsite and asked if he was going to take his dog out in the next 20 minutes or so, and then quick took the dogs for a bedtime walk.  The office told me yesterday the man was leaving this morning so I kept the dogs inside (after the 5 AM walk) until I saw the man leaving.  Too much tension.

Otherwise this has been a decent campground and the cheapest by far in the area.  They don’t know exactly what the new owners will do with the land, but it’s guaranteed it won’t stay this same little family-owned minor-league campground.  For one thing, the owners have been here since 1961 so got grandfathered in regarding their septic and water systems, and the new owners won’t get that privilege.  They’ll doubtless cut down quite a few of the trees – which can be a major nuisance when I’m trying to get into and out of my site but are still very pretty and soothing and helping cut down on air pollution.

Changes everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment