Friday, September 28, 2018

Massachusetts - Day 23 - Adamses & Randolph & Marshfield


Sippewissett Campground
Sunday, 23 September 2018

today's route
Adams Family Homes
(I can’t help but think of the Addams Family, which I never watched but my brother and sister both liked a lot.  Somehow I doubt if these Adamses had that kind of sense of humor.)

Today I was sure I could find the original homes of US presidents #2 and #6, the Adamses.  And I found the Visitor Center, no problem.  Sadly, there’s no parking anywhere near there, even on Sunday mornings, for RVs.  Nearby parking garage has a serious height restriction.

As I drove around and around looking for parking I also looked for the houses, which should have been easy to see in contrast to the modern buildings around the Visitor Center.  Broad green area across the street, and I was sure they’d be there.  Honestly, I don’t know where they’ve hidden them.  I never found even a street sign to tell me.  If I could have made it to the Visitor Center I’m sure they’d have given me a map, but that was out.

It was truly bizarre.  This is a National Historical Site, for heavens sake.  These were presidents.  Moderately important presidents.  I mean, if I could find JFK’s birthplace, why on earth would John Adams’s birthplace be a secret?  Maybe you can tell I was disappointed.
John Quincy Adams's birthplace

John Adams's birthplace

These are photos I took from the internet.  I now know these are salt box houses – distinguished by a central chimney and a long sloping roof that goes from 2 stories in the front to 1 story in the back, creating the look of what used to be a box for storing salt.  I found all this online and now I drive around looking at houses and can recognize them and feel so educated.

Randolph
Another state and another town named Randolph.  I finally got curious enough to look it up, and I don't know who the other Randolphs were named for, but this one was name for Peyton Randolph, the first president of the Continental Congress, which I guess makes sense, considering where we are.

Unlike the one in Maine, this Randolph seems to be thriving.  It’s clear from their City Hall.As many towns do, this one has memorials in front for the veterans of the US wars.  The one for the Vietnam veterans was striking.  Many city halls have a drop box for people to pay fines or taxes, as did this one, but they also had some other drop boxes I thought were unusual.  One of these is for eyeglasses donations for the Lions Club; the other is for old US flags that need proper disposal.  Interesting use of retired mail boxes.
front of Vietnam marker

back of marker
Randolph is the home of the Boston Higashi School – Educating Children with Autism, according to their sign.  Didn’t know there was such a school.

Seemed to be a nice town.  Near downtown I passed Mother Anna’s Ristorante and Bar. Sadly it was too early in the day for me to stop and sample, but there were good smells coming from it. 


Marshfield
About 35 years ago, my husband and I visited one of his oldest friends here.  I still have vague memories  of the town and how pleasant it seemed and have wondered if it still looked like it did.  I was afraid, being so close to Boston, it would have succumbed to takeover building frenzies, but if it has, it’s keeping it well-hidden.  I was happy to see that it still looked as charming as I remember it.  Houses are strung out along a 2-lane county road as in so many places up here, but these houses are mostly set back from the road a little way – about double the front yard that we had in Austin.  And they’re separated about the distance of a city block from each other – close enough to be a community but not on top of each other.  Lots of old houses and old trees and almost all very well kept – undoubtedly a lot of money here but it’s quiet, self-assured money that doesn’t need to call attention to itself.



No comments:

Post a Comment