Sunday, September 30, 2018

Massachusetts - Day 28


Sippewissett Campground
Friday, 28 September 2018

I’d been planning to spend today driving over to New Bedford and that general area, but the weather forecast on the TV today showed a major storm system moving quickly this way.  I decided to just stay put for today and go tomorrow, weather depending.

Good decision.  It didn’t just rain, it poured.  Hard.  For hours.  The entire states of Connecticut and Rhode Island were under a flash flood watch, because the ground got saturated the other day and the prediction was for another inch or so of rain along the coastal area.  I’m picking up the Providence NBC station, so I have to figure out the Falmouth weather trends when the weather guy moves over a bit and I can see under his arm when he points at Providence.  Good enough.

Early this morning I found another piece of jewelry by the picnic table – I think the rain is moving the mud around and uncovering things people dropped.  This one is a pin – 2 pins actually, connected by a chain.  My sorority pin is that way, with the symbol for the chapter connected to the main one for the sorority.

The smaller pin is the number “48,” and the larger pin has a shield on it with an “S,” and underneath is written “Gregory.”  Well this, of course, caught my eye so I looked a little closer at the “S” and I think it might actually be an “St” which might mean St. Gregory, which there is one of – a Saint Gregory, I mean.  And taken together with the “48” I decided this must be an old school pin, because someone who graduated either from high school or college in 1948 would be a generation older than me.  It looks like the sort of thing they might have had for my mom’s Rhode Island high school.  I tried to take photos of it but I don’t have a lens that’ll do close-up work.  Here’s the best I came up with.  Not too good, huh?



I’m getting truly lousy internet reception today, what with the rain and all, so will keep trying to find something.  I saw that there are quite a few St. Gregory schools around the US, but I’m thinking the best bet would be those in PA or this general area.  I can’t get a signal long enough to find any images from these schools.  But Mass., like Maine and Vermont and New Hampshire, gets lots of people from nearby states coming to visit.  Though why on earth someone would bring a pin like this to a campground is beyond me.

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps St. Gregory's in East Falmouth is the most likely candidate. Here's a link. https://www.stgregs.net

    ReplyDelete