Monday, September 3, 2018

Massachusetts - Day 3

Northampton/Springfield KOA
Monday, 3 September 2018

Happy Labor Day!

I remember these weekends when I was a kid - half dreading going to school the next day because so often it was a new one for me, I went to 8 schools by the time I'd hit the 10th grade - and half loving the last chance to have fun in the summer, almost always with family friends, I think.

I see now that the children who travel somewhere for the weekend don't get to have that kind of Labor Day because this is the day they're going home.

Yesterday I heard some 9ish-year-olds saying we've got a whole entire day that we can do what we want in!  So I guess yesterday was the day they'll remember as their Labor Day holiday.

I met several of the kids at this park and they were all astoundingly polite.  Well, I was astounded when I was waiting my turn in the office/store and heard the kid in front of me buy a bag of ice and said please and thank you unprompted without a parent around. 

I was right about how the park's cleared out today.  The campsites on either side of me are empty as are the ones next to them; I'll bet they're down to about half full tonight, which will make walking easier.

Well, the dog question won't be a big problem on a walk but the weather will.  There's an official heat advisory out today and tomorrow for this area, with temps predicted to be 95° and humidity up in the 60%s, so they're guessing a heat index of around 100°.  That's hot no matter where you are.

It's expected to be the same tomorrow, coming down about 5° Wednesday and Thursday but with humidity going up into the 70s, and finally a front comes in and knocks everything down to bearable for Friday and Saturday.  So much to look forward to.  I have the fan on now and all the windows and skylights open, but my puppies are panting and I'm afraid of heat stroke, since they've got those little fur coats, so I'll turn on the AC even though it's still early in the afternoon.

I've about got the next few days figured out and just need to get on the phone for reservations, so that's good.

I saw on the weather report this morning that the part of Maine I was in for the last week is now considered to be in moderate drought.  Seems crazy sitting there on the ocean, but that's what they say.  And salt water isn't the same as rain water as far as trees are concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment