Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Delaware - Day 26


Trap Pond State Park
Saturday, 26 January 2019

A quiet day in the campground.  The dogs spent much of the day sleeping off the excesses of 2 days at day care.

There are 3 paying customers here in the campground now (including me), and one of the others has 3 dogs.  Two of them are small, but 3 still seems a little excessive to me.  But their RV is about 30’ long, so maybe they don’t feel any more crowded than I do.

Still, with the 2 dogs owned by one of the campground hosts and the 1 dog owned by another, this park seems teeming with dogs when there’s almost nobody here.  And all the dogs seem as excitable as mine, so we all try to watch carefully that our walks aren’t overlapping with each other.

On our early morning walk, Dexter smelled something that I think must have been a raccoon and went berserk.  Both the dogs got excited when they started sniffing around a big tree, and then Dexter sniffed higher and higher on the trunk, which he never does.  Then he started sniffing along the ground as if he’d found a trail and tried desperately to follow the trail at a high speed – yeah, with me and Gracie attached.  Meanwhile Gracie ran around behind me and then tried to run ahead too, and I got seriously worried they’d pull me over and we’d have a problem.  So I cut that walk short and took them back to the RV and waited till it got lighter.  And by then whatever had gotten them revved up had gone, I guess, because they went right by that same spot without even flinching.  But it was the up-the-tree-trunk followed by the along-the-road scent-following that made me decide it must have been a raccoon.  Deer and rabbits don’t climb trees and squirrels don’t get even Dexter that excited any more.  Or maybe a porcupine or a possum?


No comments:

Post a Comment