Sunday, January 13, 2019

Delaware - Day 12

Trap Pond State Park
Saturday, 12 January 2018

The forecast keeps changing.  I've been hearing all week that we'd be getting a lot of snow during the day on Saturday with some possible on Sunday.  Then yesterday they were saying the snow would start late Saturday afternoon.  This morning they're saying maybe not till midnight with rain moving in before sunrise.

I've been hoping for snow for the dogs to play in, and now it's sounding like a very short window for snow during the night, to be likely all rained away by the time we get up tomorrow morning.

If I'd known this, I'd have stayed in to write yesterday and gone to the beach with the dogs today.  Oh well.  I'll still hope for snow.  I like it a lot as long as I don't have to shovel it or drive in it.

We mostly got clouds today and some quite chilly temperatures.  In between my blog-catching-up stints, the dogs and I walked all around the campground.

There are only 4 campsites being used besides mine - 2 of them are campground hosts and 1 is a youngish guy who leaves at 7AM and returns at 7PM, usually in a monster truck - big enough to tow a large piece of equipment.  It rumbles for a while when it's warming up in the mornings and upsets Dexter.

One of the campground hosts has a small dog he takes on brief walks occasionally; the other has a cat they let outside for a few hours every day.  The young guy doesn't seem to have pets.  The fifth camper, staying at the other end of the campground from the rest of us, turns out to have 2 dogs the size of mine.  I've been here for 4 days and only saw them for the first time today.

This campground is quite large, having 4 loops that each have about 30 spaces for RVs and a 5th loop just for tents where you're not allowed to drive. 

There are trees everywhere and close enough together that I have to watch out for them when I'm backing in to my site.  Mixed pines and various deciduous trees.  Massive amounts of leaves on the ground, which Gracie loves to roll around in and Dexter likes to search through and I like to scuffle as I walk.  It's a very comfortable place, especially with almost nobody else here.

Most of us are camped at the end by Trap Pond.  A decent-sized flock of Canada Geese seems to be living here, mostly on the other side of the lake but sometimes over here.  I've seen a Great Blue Heron here.  And a woodpecker and assorted other birds.  Very pleasant.  I was afraid being by the water would mean we'd be more subject to weather disturbances, but I've been noticing that even very strong wind gusts get funneled up to the tops of the trees and we don't feel them much at all down here on the ground.

I sure hope the snow doesn't disappoint me.


No comments:

Post a Comment