Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Delaware - Day 14

Trap Pond State Park
Monday, 14 January 2019

I'm glad I decided not to go sightseeing today.  By midafternoon it warmed up enough so I didn't have to put on 3 layers of clothes to walk the dogs, but it was still only in the mid-30s.  And that was by about 3:00.  It didn't actually get up to 30° until at least after 9:00. 

The overnight cold made the snow so crunchy I didn't worry about whether we'd be sneaking up on the deer on our early morning walk, because that would have been impossible.  There was plenty of crunchy snow on the roads too, but there was also plenty of black ice and I had to be careful walking on it.  And that's why I'm glad I was staying put.

I spent most of the morning trying to figure out where I'd be able to go for the 2nd half of the month and what campgrounds I should plan to stay in, because I don't have a reservation after this Friday.  Part of my consideration is doggy day care.

I could find almost no day care facilities in the whole state of Delaware - all I could find online were kennels or in-home dog sitters, which isn't at all what I want.  Where I'm taking the dogs now is one of the only ones.  I tried several different search engines, too.  Weird.  And that fact really complicates my planning process, which is why I spent so much time on it.
Lily found a place in the sun
By midafternoon much of the snow on the roads was evaporating so I'm hopeful that I'll be able to make it in to day care tomorrow as planned.

I talked to Jo Ann about maybe having the dogs stay overnight on Thursday night because I want to go to a movie in Lewes, over on the coast.  Turns out, though, that I can't even take them in for day care on Thursday or Friday because she's too full.  I suddenly realized it's the start of a 3-day weekend and that might be why she's filled up.  She agreed, though, to let me bring them in Tuesday morning and pick them up on Wednesday afternoon, so I'll get to see my movie, I hope.

When I was walking the dogs this afternoon I found some of those cypress I hadn't been noticing.  These were just across the campground road from our site - I've been looking at them for days without registering what I was seeing.  You can even see a few knees here and there.

Bizarre shower facilities they have here.  For one thing there's so much iron in the water that all the fixtures are stained red or pink.  But the nuisance was that to take a shower you push a button and water flows from the shower head for 10 seconds.  Only 10.  Lots of hot water.  Great water pressure.  But after 7 seconds (one thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three ...) the flow starts to taper off, and after 10 seconds there's no water at all.  Try taking a shower sometime where you have to interrupt yourself every 7 seconds.  But there was plenty of hot water and there was great water pressure, so you can't have everything.


No comments:

Post a Comment