Sunday, January 13, 2019

Delaware - Day 13 - snow

Trap Pond State Park
Sunday, 13 January 2018

Even before I got dressed this morning I opened the door to see if it had snowed.  It had!  Lots of snow all over and no rain in sight.

The dogs loved being out for their early morning walk, and when we got back I measured what was on the picnic table: 3".  The table is under some pines so may not be the best place to measure, but I imagine it's pretty close.

Between the first and second walks it started snowing again so when we got back I measured again and, sure enough, there was now 4" on the table.
this is what 4" looks like
It kept up snowing off and on all morning, though sometimes it sounded like there were sleet pellets instead of snow.  And soon after lunch I started to hear big clumps of snow falling on our roof.  The noise scared Gracie quite a bit, but there was nowhere for her to escape it.  When we went out for a third walk, I found that the temp had warmed up a bit so the snow on the trees was melting, a wind had come up and was blowing the snow off, and also that there was so much snow accumulated that the tree branches couldn't hold it all anymore.  No wonder it was so noisy inside the RV.

By the time we'd finished our walk, the roads were slushy but there was still about 3" on the picnic table.  The forecast is for below freezing temps tonight, so I feel pretty sure the roads will be icy for much of tomorrow.  Unless things are a lot more melted than I'm expecting, I'm not going out again tomorrow.  But we'll see.


No comments:

Post a Comment