Sunday, January 6, 2019

Delaware - Days 5 & 6

Lums Pond State Campground
Saturday, 5 and Sunday, 6 January 2019

Saturday we got plenty of rain, as forecast.  Not exactly the gullywasher I was expecting but enough to leave plenty of standing water in the campground.

I think the water table here must be very high.  We're situated on a very decent-sized pond and are also less than a mile from the Chesapeake & Delaware Canal, which is deep enough for ocean-going vessels.  There's quite a bit of space between the campsites with plenty of grass and trees to soak up the rain, so the fact that the ground is so soggy leads me to conclude: very high water table.

I'm still not feeling well and am about to decide I've got a sinus problem, which is giving me a mild but fairly constant headache and clogged nose, leading to lots of coughing, leading to more headache.  Maybe I'm allergic to Delaware.  And maybe it'll clear up on its own.  I won't go to the doctor unless it gets a lot worse or goes on a lot longer.

Sunday the clouds passed on and the wind has really picked up, with gusts strong enough to move the RV around.  But the sun is nice for a change.

I've spent much of the weekend on the internet updating my blog, and figuring out what sights are still open in the winter and what route I want to take Monday, and trying to decide where to go on Wednesday when my reservation here is up, and writing my Congressional delegation again.

Part way through Saturday I heard that the president was saying this shutdown could go on for months, maybe years, and I decided to register my opinion again.  So I wrote to Senators Cornyn and Cruz something like this:  The Senate GOP has the power to shut down this shutdown and I beg you to use it.  Trump has already burned you once by reneging on what he'd agreed to.  He'll clearly let Ann Coulter veto any deal you strike with him.  The solution?  Pass the House bills by a veto-proof majority.  This allows you to open the government and still gives another month to discuss the wall.  The $5+ billion isn't enough for a whole wall anyway.  What will happen when Trump comes back for more funding later?  Will we have another shutdown for "months, maybe years?"  Is this really what the GOP stands for now?

And I also sent a message to Rep. Van Taylor, who has apparently taken Sam Johnson's seat.  I told him I knew this was currently the Senate's problem and that I'd written to Cornyn and Cruz, but I thought he could influence them and might soon have to make some decisions of his own.  And then I repeated a version of the above.

It seems to me this solution is the best route for everybody: the GOP shows they care about people getting paid, and it's a face-saver for the president, who can veto the bill knowing that Congress will override his veto and reopen the government and the wall discussion can still go on.

Today I found yet another website I wanted to look at that the National Park Service had shut down because of the shutdown.  This is affecting my life in ways that are simply annoyances - very irritating but nothing like not being able to pay my rent and my child care because I don't have a pay check.  This insanity has got to come to a halt.

If you have a better idea than mine, or if you agree with mine, or if you totally disagree with mine, write to your Congressional representatives.  They need to be hearing from us.  I know enough about lobbying in Washington that I can say with certainty that they pay a LOT of attention to how many constituent messages they get pro and con an issue.  So write.  Please.

Maybe the shutdown is what's giving me the headache.


No comments:

Post a Comment