Monday, August 6, 2018

Maine - Day 3 - to Grand Lake


Greenland Cove Campground, near Danforth
Friday, 3 August 2018

today's route
Much like my travels with the Androscoggin River 2 days ago, today I traveled with the Penobscot River for about half of today’s trip, beginning in Bangor.  “Penobscot” sounds so Maine-y somehow.
Penobscot River
I chose to take US Rt 2 instead of the interstate, a decision that had its pluses and minuses.   On the plus side, I enjoyed the company of the river, and enjoyed seeing the small towns I went through.  On the minus side, the road isn’t in very good shape so I had to drive much slower than the speed limit and had to pull over often to let cars go around me, so the drive was more wearing than I’d have preferred.  (Lucky there was a shoulder to pull onto.)

I passed a sign saying “Tourist Lodge” that hadn’t seen fresh paint in about 70 years but immediately made me think of that wonderful Clark Gable/Claudette Colbert movie “It Happened One Night” and the little tourist courts they stayed in.

Since I was going through Orono (crossword lovers, take note), I made a detour onto the campus of the University of Maine.  Entirely green lawns and red brick buildings.  And they were very New England red brick buildings – you know, foresquare and utilitarian, rather than ornate as so many colleges seem to have.  I took a photo of the most ornate one I could find, and then a few of the others so you can see what I mean.  They look so much alike that I would sure not want to be a brand new freshman at that school – I’d be constantly lost and late for class.  But it was an attractive campus with all the green lawns.


We stopped for lunch and leg-stretches at a boat launch on the Penobscot, and that turned out to be a good place.  Large area of mown grass and a few picnic tables and a few other people eating lunch in their cars just as we were doing.

I’m already seeing leaves changing colors.  In fact, I’ve been seeing them since Vermont, but of course only a few here and there.  But I’m wondering whether this is normal or whether it’s going to be an early fall.  I saw some more at the picnic area – just a few, you know, and they were the only ones on that tree, but they were the gorgeous fall red and orange and yellow and green.

I heard on the radio that today is International Beer Day!

Since Jasper’s death, Roscoe has been acting different – which I expected – but it’s what he’s doing that I didn’t expect.  For one thing, he’s never been able to tolerate the dogs and hisses and claws at them when they come close to him – and in a 24’ RV that’s often.  And he’s never been particularly affectionate, though he’ll lie on the seat beside me sometimes but doesn’t want to be patted much.  And he loved the crate I put the cats in for our drives and would often spend time in it anytime I left it available.

Well, all that’s changed.  He’s now starting to act like the dogs are part of the family and has even been known to sniff them if they’re near him.  He comes looking for affection sometimes and wants to be patted more.  And he’s acting like he hates the crate and gets hissy when I put him in.  So for the last couple of days I’m trying him on drives without the crate.

Jasper was the one anyway who used to try to sit in my lap and wind around my legs as I was driving, and if Roscoe stays away from me then I’m willing to consider leaving him free.  I still have to close the bathroom door when I drive because otherwise it’d swing around and bang into the wardrobe and generally be a nerve-wracker (and maybe a home-wrecker), so Roscoe doesn’t have access to his box except when we stop, but as long as he doesn’t find somewhere else to mess up, then again I’m willing to consider leaving him free.

I’m not planning on getting another cat until after Roscoe dies.  Cats are so picky about who they live with, and he and Jasper were together for many years, and we do have close quarters and it’s not like I can promise an animal shelter I could provide a stable home.  So Roscoe and I will play all this by ear.  This trip is a work in progress anyway.

I turned east on state route 6 at Lincoln (leaving the Penobscot River behind) and hoped it would be a better road, as the map designated it as a principle route.  Well, it wasn’t.  It was worse.  Much worse.  The speed limit was 50 mph but I could barely go 35 mph without us all being shaken to bits.  Talk about wearing.

Google had given me directions to leave route 6 for route 169, because it was more direct, but it looked like it was nearly a local road rather than a highway, and I had planned to ignore Google.  But by the time I got to 169, I figured it couldn’t possibly be worse than route 6 was so I turned.  And it was instantly much much better because route 169 had been paved so recently the striping was barely dry.  It didn’t have a shoulder, but it also didn’t have any traffic and it didn’t have any bumps and I was very happy.

This road especially is full of hills, real hills, not just little ones but not mountains either. And I seem to be in farm country as I’m passing one isolated farm and farmhouse after another. Very attractive.

I’ve also been seeing lots of apple trees for weeks now. They act like they’re growing wild, though I imagine someone planted them a long time ago – they’re just not necessarily around anything now but instead just out in the middle of a thicket or something.  Full of apples, which is why I’ve noticed them.  And I saw more of them along this road.  Very pleasant drive.

Until I turned on US route 1.  Again terrible and wildly bumpy and I had to slow down to 35 mph again.

And then it got even worse when I turned off on the road to the campground.  Speed limit 15 mph, and there was a reason for that: the road was very narrow, it did have traffic that included a dump truck and other large vehicles, and it was very bumpy.  I had no trouble keeping the speed down to 15.  We finally got to the campground and when I reached in back for my purse I found Roscoe sound asleep on a towel on one of the bench seats. So clearly being out of the crate wasn’t a problem for him.

I only drove 100 miles today but the roads were so bad I feel wrung out.  Glad I’m planning to stay here an extra night to rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment