Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Maine - Day 13 - along the Downeast coast/Bar Harbor

Bucksport/Ft. Knox KOA
Monday, 13 August 2018
today's route
Today's journey and photos are all about coastal Maine, so if that bores you, skip to another post, because that's all I got.  But it was beautiful.

These photos are both of Narragaugus Bay and it was so picturesque I couldn't decide between the two.  So you get both.

Lots of little boats.  The tide was going out so a lot of shoreline and islands were appearing.

I was trying to go down Grindstone Neck near Winter Harbor and ended up on the wrong road.  I was just doing my usual tiny-u-turn maneuver when I suddenly saw a doe and 2 spotted fawns crossing the road right by my RV.  I was so stunned that I didn't even try to take a photo until they were almost out of sight.  I ended up only getting the doe and one of the fawns.
I did eventually make it to the end of Grindstone Neck, which is a residential area for very wealthy people, complete with golf course.  But it is beautiful.
from a hill heading to the water

rose hips and a few roses

coastline

more coastline














I couldn't get all the way down Schoodic Point, which is in the eastern part of Acadia National Park.  The National Park Service prohibits trucks and RVs past the campground, so I just had to turn around there.

This whole peninsula is covered with little fishing villages and artists and trees and rich people's houses (those are mostly bunched together), and is a really pretty peaceful place.

I stopped at a rest area near Ellsworth, the jumping-off point for the main part of Acadia National Park, and found a very pretty place overlooking Frenchman's Bay.
this is the view of the bay from the rest area

"Another enduring contribution to civilization"

the bay from in front of Edgewater Cabins - a beautiful spot
For the Disneyland version of the Acadia National Park, I went down the road to Bar Harbor and around the coast, fighting massive traffic the whole way - and it was a Monday!  In several places the roadside was clogged with parked cars and people wheeling bikes to and from.  Apparently something bicycle-y was going on - but it wasn't even a weekend!

I didn't even try to make the turn down into the harbor area because I could see the road was much narrower than it was supposed to be because of cars parked bumper to bumper along it.  This was obviously originally a very pretty area but now you can't see the forest and scenery for the people.  I got out of there as fast as the traffic would allow, which wasn't very fast.  By the time I got back on the road, I was really tired and thankful it wasn't too much farther to the campground.

No comments:

Post a Comment