Friday, August 24, 2018

Maine - Day 21 - lake country


Riverbend Campground, near Leeds
Tuesday, 21 August 2018
today's route
I find these days of having limited access to wifi is becoming disorienting – not being able to check the weather or the news or add to my blog – it’s a little like when you’re on a diet and the only thing you can think about is what you can’t have.  Because of that fuzziness, I didn’t plan on much of any sightseeing today, and when it turned out that the next campground – who promised me a wifi signal – wasn’t far from the previous one, I decided to drive around these country roads and see some of the many lakes in this region.

But first, I went back to Augusta to do a little shopping.  I’ve been becoming increasingly desperate to get a 2nd pair of pants because the ones I’ve got were secondhand to start with and now have huge holes in both legs.  I realize that’s completely in style these days, but it’s been a while since I was young enough to be in style, plus I keep putting my foot in the holes when I’m putting them on.  I was left with only 2 pairs after that ghastly accident with the sewage hose this past February when I threw away my 3rd pair.

I found a very helpful young woman in Target who took on the challenge of trying to find a pair of non-stylish (i.e. not slim leg) jeans and was pleased when I found them in the men’s section.  Said she had the same problem trying to find khaki pants for work with pockets – women’s slacks not having pockets, as I’ve railed against for years.

After that I went a few stores down to BestBuy, looking for DVDs, and learned they have a new policy.  I guess they think their clientele are only interested in the latest thing, so almost all their ordinary DVDs were in a serious sale bin, and the only ones on the shelf were either BlueRay or 4G (I think that’s what they said) – anyway, not something I wanted to pay for.  Too bad for me.

Driving note: Maine is real big on what they call an “alternate merge.”  As long as people really do what they’re supposed to do, it must work better than those one-lane-ending-so-merge-into-the-other instructions.  And so far I haven’t seen anybody having problems with them.  I saw a few of these signs in Vermont, more in New Hampshire, but Maine seems to go in for them in a big way.  To get this photo, I went online and learned they're called late merge or zipper merge and are starting to be used in all but 2 states (per San Antonio DOT blog).

note the ladder
This photo is Lake Maranacook.  I stopped at a boat landing area and, once again, displayed my tendency to have problems trying to back up.  This time I backed into one of those tallish yellow poles governments put up to stop people from going places they don’t want them to go.  Chipped a little yellow paint but otherwise the pole was fine.  Not so my little RV.   I’m noticing a trend: most of my damage seems to be happening in the right rear corner area.  This should tell me something.  (Wonder if it will.)

In the last few days I’ve noticed a few maples starting to change colors, and today I saw a whole tree’s worth.  But I’m not sure it’s because winter’s already coming as much as maybe stress, because everybody keeps telling me how badly they need rain here.

I think this photo is of Echo Lake, based on where I seem to be on the map.  All these lakes are pretty. 


I passed an enormous yard full of logs and suddenly realized all of them and all the logs I’ve seen on trucks are all the same size and must be coming from tree farms.  I’ve heard that the northwest part of Maine that seems to have only private roads in it is full of logging operations.  I wonder if the state of Maine decided to lease – or sell? - a huge chunk of the state to tree companies.  Well, I still love paper – especially paper towels and toilet paper – so I guess I can’t complain.  And tree farms are better than cutting down forests.

I heard on Maine Public Radio (they’ve just got the one public radio station that’s rebroadcast from different stations – Vermont and New Hampshire do the same) that Maine’s lakes are much warmer than usual and their average surface temperature this summer is 80°.  The reason this matters, biologists say, is the usually cool water keeps Maine lakes much clearer of algae than the lakes in other states, but that seems to be changing this year.  Biologists are hoping this isn’t a trend and worry about climate change, because the changing biota is/are bad for fishing and swimming and other water sports.

I passed a lot of cornfields today.  And the corn is looking pretty far along and is starting to show up in farm stands along the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment