Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Maine - Day 6

Grand Isle Campground
Monday, 6 August 2018

I have been increasingly wanting to reorganize things in the RV and, the weather forecast being for beautiful weather today but rain tomorrow, decided today was it.

Even though I brought what I thought were a minimal number of cooking utensils, it turned out to be a lot more than I'm likely to use.  What I actually use are my crock pot, my stew pot/Dutch oven (RevereWare), a small nonstick skillet, a teakettle, and occasionally a small pot.  That's it.  I cook in a skillet like I did at home because I don't want to clean up the mess, so I use the stew pot with the higher sides instead.  I cook in the microwave whenever possible, so I don't use pots.  And all the other pots and pans I'd brought were taking up space, weighing down the drawer when I opened it, had to be moved aside to get what I wanted each time - just a nuisance.  So they're now in the underneath storage area and, if I haven't used them by the time I get to Texas, I'll be leaving them in my storage unit.

I had things like salt stored down below and I moved them into the cabin.

I discovered the cooking oil I'd brought had gone bad - I guess the heat, and I just don't use it because I don't cook very often - and that's been tossed.  Stuff like that.

I'm using only half the towels I brought and the others were getting in the way, so they got moved.

It took all morning and by lunch I was tired from heaving around boxes and bins from storage down below and cabinets up above.

Then I started trying to figure out where I could stay after I leave here and that was a bigger project than I thought.  Maine's tourist information doesn't include a lot of contact information that other states provide - it seems they expect everybody to make phone calls - an odd assumption as phone service is irregular around the state.  My next door neighbors here at the campground tell me their AT&T service is spotty because it thinks it's in Canada and wants to charge roaming fees.  My Verizon service is okay, but usually it's the other way around.

Fortunately, this campground has excellent wi-fi provided so I'm getting a good strong signal with no apparent limits, as some campgrounds set.

This campground also turns out to have an excellent shower - the best I've found since I started the trip.  And the odd thing is that this campground is tiny - there are only 11 campsites and half of them have seasonal people in them.  Although actually there aren't any other people except my neighbors and me.  They're from maybe Mobile and are full-timing it too.  They've been all along the west coast (again no AT&T there, they say) and along over to here.  Nice people.

Anyway, I decided to stay here an extra couple of nights.  It'll give me time to drive down the road to see the sights, and give me more time to figure out where I'm going next.

The one drawback to this campground is that there's not much of anyplace to walk the dogs except around the little campground itself.  Early in the morning I tried to take them along the road (Rt. 1) back towards the center of town - about 3 blocks away - but Gracie balked big time.

No comments:

Post a Comment