Saturday, August 25, 2018

Maine - Day 24

On the Saco Campground
Friday, 24 August 2018

This is a very pleasant campground.  Their showers are the most expensive I've run across - 50¢ for 6 minutes, when the most expensive I've seen before now was 25¢ for 8 minutes - but they're clean and the water is hot so it's a trade-off.  Otherwise, it's a small place with only 28 RV sites and a dozen or so tent sites, with the RV sites ranged around a large green space and fairly thick hedges of trees between the sites, and the tent sites set along the Saco River. 

I'm limited in how far I can walk the dogs during the day because there are lots of other dogs here, which of course make mine act a little wacko, but there are still areas of green verged by trees a little away from the sites where my dogs find enough distractions to keep their attention away from the dogs. 

Very pleasant.  Very family-oriented, too, and I have to turn the fan on at night for white noise so Gracie and I can sleep without hearing the little kids.  Run by a young, cheerful, competent couple with a small child themselves.  And a decent wifi signal - so a perfect place to stay an extra night.

The main thing I needed to do today was try to figure out where there's a campground that I can afford that's a little closer to the coast and the sights I still want to see in Maine.  The closer you get to the coast, the higher the campground prices rise.  I found one where even the tent sites were $60/night.  How could it possibly be that great a place?

Here I'm only an hour and a half or so from the coast, but I'd hoped to get closer, and I finally found one of the least expensive campgrounds with a vacancy on an August weekend: Yellowstone Park Campground.  Why do you suppose they thought that was a good name to choose?  I doubt if I'll ask them, but it seems an odd choice.  With that price it may be a dump, but if so I can still stay there one night while trying to find someplace else.  If it's decent, I may stay there for my last week in Maine.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment