Friday, June 8, 2018

Vermont - Days 7 & 8 & 9

Greenwood Lodge and Campsites
Thursday, 7 June - Saturday, 9 June, 2018

I'm back where I was a week ago.  It's a nice campground and I need somewhere to try to shake off whatever it is that ails me.

I find I haven't said anything since I came to Vermont about the signs saying "[silhouette of moose] Crossing."  All the other states have signs saying "[silhouette of deer] Crossing."  All around Bennington, businesses have statues of moose in front, all decorated differently.  There's one at the Bennington Battle Monument and the woman who worked there told me not long ago a moose actually showed up and spent quite a bit of time checking out the statue.  Dexter growled at it, not sure what to make of it.

I also find I forgot to say something about a junco I saw when we were here last time.  I saw
Junco
it each morning we were here - the last morning on our vehicle.  It was fascinated with the image it saw in RV mirrors and windshields and kept trying to get behind them to the meet the bird.  I'm not sure why it was doing it because there was at least one other junco around - I saw it.

I remember juncos from when Pete and I lived in Juneau and they came to our feeders.  Actually, they didn't seem to be feeder sorts of birds and preferred to eat seeds we scattered on our back deck.  Nice birds.

Red-winged Blackbird
Before we came back here, we went to a grocery store in Bennington that has a wetland area in its parking lot with lots of cattails.  As with all other stands of cattails I've been finding, this one had red-winged blackbirds.  Well, at least one of them, and I'm pretty sure he was protecting a nest because he followed the dogs and me all the way around the area.  I feel sure he'd have dive-bombed us if we'd gotten too close.

I don't suppose it's even necessary for me to say these aren't my photos, but I sure appreciate whoever took them.

While in Bennington I stopped to do laundry and talked to a man who saw my license plate.  He said he'd been in Houston and Galveston and liked Vermont much better because, he said, it's not segregated up here.  He's African-American.  I thought it was an interesting comment.

The nice thing about this campground is that there're a lot of trails and various areas where the dogs and I can walk without getting bored by seeing the same things all the time.  It's built on Mount Prospect, right next to the Prospect Ski Area.  At this time of year it's really hard to imagine what the ski slopes would look like with winter snow on them.  Anyway, here at the campground there's lots of ups and downs, woods and open areas, lots of water - several ponds and creeks.  It's just a nice place for the dogs, which makes it a nice place for me.

I'm just planning to take it fairly easy for a few days and see if I can get rid of this headache.

No comments:

Post a Comment