Thursday, June 28, 2018

Vermont - Day 26

Country Village Campground
Tuesday, 26 June 2018
today's route
On the 30-or-so mile drive down to Rutland, I smelled a skunk.  Made me feel right at home.

As I was stuck in the traffic jam in Brandon - the result of the road work and 2 sections of 1-lane roads, I wasn't moving and happened to notice out my passenger window a statue of Stephen Douglas.  The Stephen Douglas who ran for president against A. Lincoln.  Wondering what on earth that was doing in Brandon, VT, I looked it up and learned Douglas was born in Brandon and went to school there and in Middlebury before going out to Illinois where he ran into Lincoln.   You just never know what you're going to find in oddball places.

On my drives up and down Rt. 7 I've been noticing that the price of gasoline is substantially lower in the Rutland area than in the Burlington area.  To me that doesn't make sense because of Burlington being the biggest city in the state with more competition so why would things be more expensive?  But gas is typically $2.98 near Burlington and $2.83 in Rutland.  And I stopped in Middlebury for gas and paid $2.72.  A substantial difference when I'm getting 30 gallons or so.

I went to the vet's office to drop off their records and then drove out to Fair Haven, about 20 minutes to the west, a few feet from the VT/NY line.  Almost a week ago I broke the sewer hose and since then have been seriously trying to find an RV supply store to patronize.  Oddly, this one seemed to be my choice.  They didn't have one that was like what I broke but they had something similar enough, and I was desperate enough, that I decided to get it.  There's only so long they want you to go without pumping out the blackwater tank and I figured I'd reached it.

Back at the vet's office everybody got examined and shot.  Roscoe complained seriously the whole time and hissed when anybody tried to do anything to him.  The vet staff thought his bark was worse than his bite but I assured them he can do both equally well, so they were a little more careful with him.  And I got 4 more months of tick preventative, which will get me to October in Rhode Island, and we'll see if it's necessary after that. 

Back at the campground I decided since everybody else was getting their medical needs seen to, I needed to do the same, so tomorrow I'm going to the University of Vermont Urgent Care clinic just outside of Burlington to see about more blood pressure medicine, which I ran out of more than a month ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment