Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Vermont - Day 12 - Woodstock & Quechee

Quechee/Pine Valley KOA
Tuesday, 12 June 2018


today's route - dramatic photo, huh?
this was just along the road into town
Woodstock
I wasn't really planning to go to Woodstock - I mean, it was just on the road to where I intended to go.  But I got really lucky.  It's a beautiful little town.  Just beautiful.  I got some photos that don't really convey the character, but better than nothing.
this was smack in the middle of town
county courthouse

That LL Bean bag on the porch says "Mail" and if they really are allowed to use it as a mail box, then the local post office is much more laid back than I'm used to.

typical New England architecture - the flat fronted houses
looking towards "downtown"










You'll see from these photos that all these buildings front onto The Green, and this 2-sided historical marker was on the Green.  Unfortunately, it was very high and the sun was at an odd angle, so I hope you can read them.
side 1
side 2
 Quechee Gorge
Quechee Gorge
This was something I wanted to see but had trouble finding out where it was from any sources at all.  The best I got was from Trip Adviser, and somebody said something about the view being worth the hike, so I figured the gorge was down some park service trail or something.  Uh-uh.  It was smack on US Rt 4 between Woodstock and Quechee.

At 165' deep, it's the deepest gorge in Vermont and is occasionally referred to as the Grand Canyon of Vermont.  Well, it turns out to be a bit of an exaggeration.  Very pretty, though.





After the gorge I made a stop at the Vermont Toy Museum.  For me it wasn't worth my time as they had almost no toys I recognized.  Most of them seemed to be from a later era than mine, and even the ones they said were from the '50s and '60s I just didn't remember.  I'm sure others would - just not me.  The only thing I do remember of the things they had is the original Barbie doll.

King Arthur Flour Bakery
Maybe you recognize the logo.  I've bought this brand of flour before in Austin, so they must have a wide distribution network.

They're based in Norwich, VT, which is just north of White River Junction - about 9 miles from this campground.  They only had one baker baking when I was there, but they had plenty of baked goods for sale, plus sandwiches and soups and like that, and lots of people coming to eat inside or outside.  It was a beautiful day so the outside tables were full.  I'm guessing it's a local go-to place.
King Arthur Flour Bakery
I ended up buying some ciabatta rolls, a croissant, chocolate chip cookies, some summer sausage and Vermont cheddar.  Supper and breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment