Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Vermont - Day 18

Lazy Lions Campground, Graniteville
Monday, 18 June 2018
today's route
Before we left Austin, it looked to me like Jasper had something stuck in his eye.  My vet agreed that there was something there that wasn't normal and sent us to a veterinary ophthalmologist.  That vet said Jasper had a condition of his cornea that left a chunk of dead tissue embedded in his eye (or something like that).  He gave me 2 different kinds of drops to give Jasper every day, and I've mostly been doing that - even in the RV. 

I ran out of one of the kinds a few weeks ago and thought I'd just wait and see because I didn't know who to take him to.  Well, in those 3 weeks or so, his eye seemed to get worse.  Or at least it was producing a lot of discharge that it hadn't been doing when I gave him both kinds of drops. 

I got desperate enough to look for an ophthalmological vet, and the closest one I could find was in Portsmouth, NH.  I decided this month-in-a-state thing was my own bright idea that had nothing to do with anybody's health and decided to dump it for a day. 

The vet's office gave me an appointment for tomorrow at 1:45.  Portsmouth is about 4 hours away from Burlington (which my campground was about 45 minutes away from) assuming I could drive like a passenger car drives.  But I don't drive nearly as fast as I would in a car, and I have to stop for bathroom breaks for all of us, so it'd be likely to take me 6+ hours.

Accordingly, today I drove back here to the campground I stayed in a few days ago, to knock an hour or so off the drive.  This is a nice campground and the dogs and I are glad to be back.

I did make a tourist stop on the way at Richmond to see the round church.  It's pretty amazing inside and still has the original wood stove and closed in pews.  The historical marker explains things better than I could.
Historical Round Church

explanation

This is the back side of the marker and I thought it was interesting.



No comments:

Post a Comment