Monday, March 26, 2018

Fredericksburg VA KOA II

Fredericksburg (VA) KOA
Sunday, 25 March 2018 

I'm actually writing this Monday morning.  By the time I got back from doing my laundry yesterday afternoon, the critters were all looking very reproachful, and after I fed them I was hungry, and I just forgot I hadn't written.

I don't want to wait until tonight because I'm a little afraid I won't be able to get a wi-fi signal at my next campground, which appears to be in the wilds of Delaware.  If it's possible to get away from it all in a state as small as Delaware, Trap Pond State Park looks like that's where to do it.

I'm staying there because it looked nice and because it's only $20/night, which is the cheapest within 4 states.  I spent much of yesterday looking.  But I think there may also be no phone service and no TV reception, so I decided to stay there only 2 nights.  Then I'm moving to the somewhat more expensive ($35 but still less than anywhere else) Cape Henlopen State Park, which is just north of Rehoboth Beach on Delaware's Atlantic coast.  Not knowing what services to expect there, I decided to stay my last night before Pennsylvania at a KOA, where they always have most services.

I got a little nervous about this plan yesterday, when a couple pulled up to the office here to register, and they had a noticeable amount of snow on the roof of their camper and PA plates.  So I asked the man where they'd gotten it and he said York, PA - they'd gotten 18" the other day and they'd barely made it out of town.  But he assured me it'd all be gone by next week.

That's the second Pennsylvanian to assure me the snow will melt quickly, but since they've experienced an unprecedented 4th nor'easter this year, why is everybody ruling out a 5th?  But hope on, hope ever.  Or, as the South Carolina state motto says (translated from the Latin): While I breathe, I hope.

It doesn't look like I'm going all that many actual miles today, but a good chunk of them are dealing with the DC area.  It's called traffic.

Google decided the best route was straight through town.  And then I looked at a map and realized it was looking at mileage only.  The Beltway (talked about frequently by DC commentators) adds only a few miles but is SURELY going to be less congested than going straight through.

I ran into this same thing in Jacksonville.  Google told me to go straight through town instead of taking a ring road.  It's one of the only traffic jams I've been caught in this entire trip.  Google doesn't seem to take human beings into account.  Silly it.  Or silly whoever wrote the algorithms for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment