Thursday, March 1, 2018

Brazos Bend State Park


Thursday, 1 March 2018
Brazos Bend State Park, TX

Last night as we were going to bed, my brother suggested I be sure to get a good night’s sleep.  Oh, yes, I said, we have a 31-day march ahead of us. Momma would call both of us every year to tell us this.  Our mothers have a great effect on us.

David mending the screen door
Yesterday, David and Anna combined to repair the damage Dexter had wrought on my screen door.  Anna cut out a sheet of some kind of plastic and David installed it in place of the no-longer-existent screen portion.  Several times today I heard Dexter scratch on it when I'd leave to walk Gracie, and it seems to be holding up just fine.  Amazing.  I'd never have thought of it for myself.

This morning, driving down from Dallas, I found spring on its way.  Some of the trees were spring green leafing out, some of the fields were emerald green.  Maybe all the rain we’ve been having helped.

In Huntsville along the highway is a 70' tall statue of Sam Houston.  Right there.  Along the highway.  He’d’ve been surprised by what he’s looking at now.

I was lucky enough to catch my cousins George and Martha in Tomball at home - they’re usually so busy – but the reason they were home wasn’t so lucky. Martha had fallen and broken her hip and was still mending.  George is actually Momma’s cousin, and they’re originally from Rhode Island, as Momma was.  Still have some of their accent, which is fun to listen to.  They have a very large golden named Bailey, and my dogs had a wonderful time playing with him in their back yard.  I’ll bet this visit was a highlight of their trip.

But stopping to see them put me in the middle of Houston during rush hour traffic.  Stop and go, merge, change lanes, interpret cryptic road signs.  All more exciting in an RV.

The last 2 nights we've had a wonderful full moon, and tonight I saw it right in front of the RV as we were driving into the park.  So I stopped to take a photo, which didn't come out quite as dramatic as real life.

The full moon above the steering wheel
It's weird.  That little dot actually looked about 20 times larger.  Can photos lie?

When I pulled into my camping slot, it was exactly 7:00 PM.  This park evidently has plenty of deer: I saw 5 just driving to our camping space.  Dexter was almost beside himself.

I seem to have established my priorities.  When I stop at a camping spot, the #1 thing I do is plug in the electric cord, so I’m not using propane for the frig. #2 is walk the dogs.  #3 is take out my contacts.  #4 is cover up the windows (if it’s after dark).  #5 is feed the critters.  #6 is fix a drink.  Not the order I’d normally have set, but travel broadens the mind.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoying the blog, Kate. How are the cats handling the RV life?

    ReplyDelete