Saturday, March 31, 2018

Cape Helopen State Park III


Cape Henlopen State Park, DE 
Saturday, 31 March 2018

I had been looking forward to today.  I thought we’d be able to have a pleasant drive through Delaware and Maryland to our next campground in Maryland’s western panhandle.

But this morning, for the 2nd morning in a row, Roscoe – the one of the four that doesn’t cause me any trouble – peed on my bed.  For the Second Morning in a Row! I had to unmake my entire bed and scrounge up enough quarters and take everything down to the washers.  Today I thought it could have been worse because yesterday he’d also pooped and vomited on the bed.  It was ghastly.  But when I got back to the RV, I found while I was gone he’d vomited on my unprotected mattress.  FOR THE SECOND MORNING IN A ROW.

Making that bed is an actual project because I have only the 3’ space at the bottom right corner where I can get to the bed; the rest of the bed is fenced in by wall or frig.  And I still have that to look forward to after the mattress has had a chance to air out.

Yesterday I decided to make the best of a bad situation by cleaning everything else, since I had to wash ALL the bedclothes – the mattress pad and both sheets and blanket and comforter and extra blanket and pillow cases.  He really did make a mess.  But I got a clean bed and all my clothes got clean and I got clean – and I cut my hair, which was badly overdue – so I figured we were all set for the next step of the adventure, i.e. Pennsylvania.

Hah.

Today I was right back where I was yesterday.  I was furious and said so as loudly as I thought I could get away with in the close quarters of a public campground.  It was too loud for poor Gracie who tried desperately to find some place to hide.  She apparently believes a person yelling means she’s going to get hit.  So I had to stop yelling and tell her in a very calm voice that she was safe several times.

Meanwhile, Jasper was hollering at me that he thinks it’s time for breakfast and Dexter’s right beside me trying to make me feel better but getting in the way and Roscoe finally tried to hide on the bed above the cab, and peered out at me from behind the TV.  So I escaped to the laundry room.  I’m sure Roscoe’s back up on the bed now.  But it’ll be a very long time before he does that with my knowledge.

Yesterday afternoon I took both dogs together for a walk around the campground and the problem turned out not to be my dogs but somebody else’s, that jumped out of their truck and raced across the road and attacked Gracie and got a real grip on the back of her neck and wouldn’t let go.  The owner finally got his dog loose but got a serious cut on his hand doing it.  Fortunately, Gracie’s got a thick coat, and I’m not sure how serious that dog was because I couldn’t see that he broke the skin - Gracie showed no signs of pain or sensitivity when I was examining that area.  She wanted to go right back to our RV, but I’ve learned with her PTSD symptoms it’s usually better to keep on going rather than burrow and hide.  And sure enough, she was fine after a few minutes.

This campground has really filled up.  I imagine it’s packed during the summer.

I spent quite a few hours yesterday (when I wasn’t cleaning something up) making reservations for where we’ll stay in PA.  It turns out that no version of my carefully thought out sightseeing schedule will work because even many of the southern state campgrounds – even KOA - are closed until mid-April.  I’ve replanned a route based almost entirely on where I can find lodging when.  But I’ve got a definite plan now, so we’ll see how it goes.

I’d intended to do the same thing for New York and the New England states, because it’ll be tourist season up there and it’s that season that’ll be the bar to finding a campsite, not nature’s seasons.  But I ran out of time with PA taking much longer than I’d expected.  I’ll figure out some way to deal with it.

Sorry this post is so whiny, but I am feeling both sorry for myself and peeved that I brought all this on myself.  Bad combination.  Dryers are done.

No comments:

Post a Comment