Thursday, March 29, 2018

Cape Henlopen St Pk, DE II


Cape Henlopen State Park, DE
Thursday, 29 March 2018

On our early morning walk, we followed my ears toward the beach. I could hear the ocean increasingly well as we went down the road, but after much walking still hadn’t come to any access. Later I clocked it, and we’d walked nearly a mile out (and a mile back), and it turned out there isn’t any beach access down that road, so it’s just as well we turned back.

Because the forecast for today was sunny and for tomorrow probable rain, I decided we’d better do the beach hunting today. I finally had to ask at the park office. From the state park there’re a couple of access points. They don’t seem to like vehicles on Delaware beaches because all over I found parking areas next to or near beaches.

I suppose because it’s the middle of the week and still fairly chilly that there was almost nobody on the beach we walked to. It was beautiful.


Just as they did at Myrtle Beach, Gracie and Dexter had a knock-down-drag-out play time. My role is to hang on to the leashes and try not to get wrapped up in them. Their role is to have fun - they seem to love playing in the sand. It’s great to watch them.

Gracie now has something new she’s afraid of. As many dogs are, she’s afraid of loud noises, but while we were on the beach, an especially big wave came in and made that boom they do sometimes, and it seriously spooked her, and after that all the waves spooked her. Poor damaged little thing. Her PTSD doesn’t seem to be easing off, even after 3 years with me, because new things keep happening to upset her.

















On a happier note, Delaware protects their dunes by making designated walkways through them to the beach. I hope these photos show how pretty it is.

I’d forgotten Joe Biden is from Delaware – there’s a nature center here at the park named for him.

I drove into very nearby Lewes (pronounced Lewis) and was charmed. When I spend my month in Delaware, I’ll look forward to spending a lot more time in Lewes. Historic buildings, several beach access points, a drawbridge next to a fishing boat harbor, a school smack next to a large cemetery (huh?) – the cemetery had a historic marker on it which I’ll read when I come back.

Last night, there were very few campers here. Today, there are quite a few moving in. I’m guessing lots will be here for the Easter weekend – there are many “campsite reserved” signs around the park. I decided to grab a photo quick while the sun was shining. Gracie’s so dark it’s hard to see her lying by the RV, but they’re both there.



No comments:

Post a Comment