Sunday, October 25, 2020

Kansas - Days 23 & 24 - in the campground

Wellington KOA, Wellington
Friday, 23 and Saturday, 24 October 2020

I hadn't planned to stay here 2 full days beyond my voting trip, but when I tried to make reservations for my last week in Kansas, I ran into that stupid rule at state parks that I have to stay 2 nights if I want to stay 1 on a weekend.  I know there's a point to it, but on the other hand, they didn't get my business at all because of refusing to let me stay somewhere just for a Saturday, without adding a Friday or Sunday on too.  Instead, I decided to stay here where I knew I could get a wifi signal from the KOA and do catch-up work on the blog.

I now have reservations made for the rest of the month, but I'm not sure how much I'll be able to actually do.  Both Monday and Tuesday are forecast for temps in the mid-30s in the daytime and low 20s at night, with a chance of snow or rain (which could be freezing rain) both days.  So I could get stuck somewhere and not be able to move around as I've planned.  I hope it works out, though, because I've still got things I want to see before I leave the state.

As a sample of the change that the colder weather's brought, Thursday night here at the KOA was pretty full, but both Friday and Saturday nights weren't even half full.  I guess folks who are out for a good time don't want to do it when it's cold enough to warrant a freeze warning at night.

Which reminds me, Kansas doesn't have a burn ban and that makes me remember the statewide burn ban in Colorado.  And now there's that terrible fire in the Boulder/Estes Park region that's officially the 2nd largest in state history.  The 1st largest is burning not far from Fort Collins and there's some concern the 2 might merge because they're so close together.  I'm so very sorry for all those folks and, selfishly, very glad I had a chance to see these areas before all this happened.  Probably Colorado's having all this trouble because they elected a Democrat as governor - at least, that's what I think the president said about California. 


No comments:

Post a Comment