Saturday, October 31, 2020

Kansas - Day 27 - in the campground

Hillsdale State Park, Hillsdale
Tuesday, 27 October 2020

Thanks to the continuing ghastly weather, I was really glad I'd programmed us to stay 2 nights here.  The wind, sleet and rain continued through almost all of today, though the precipitation stopped in late afternoon.  The roads were never slick, but I just wouldn't have wanted to be trying to see some sights through the yucky downpours. 

After I got settled yesterday afternoon, I checked the weather and learned it was 26°, though 16° with the wind chill adjustment.  I knew it was cold.

I bought propane this past weekend at the KOA, and the last several days were so chilly inside the RV I started thinking I should maybe ration the propane a bit (think heating) if the level started to look too low.  When I stopped off at another KOA in Lawrence on Wednesday for more propane, I was almost empty, so I was right to be concerned.

There were horseapples everywhere, having fallen off the trees.  Many of them had been run over in the roads, making for navigation problems when we were out for walks.

Lots of squirrels - red squirrels in this part of the state.  I saw a Downy Woodpecker that flew into the tree next to the RV.  So cute.

Lesser Scaup
There was a lake near the campground and from a distance I saw a batch of ducks.  My best guess, given the distance and poor visibility, was that they were scaup and I felt pretty good when the bird book agreed this part of Kansas is in the wintering range for Lesser Scaup.


I spent today writing a blog post, so I was only 2 days behind when we left.


No comments:

Post a Comment