Saturday, October 24, 2020

Kansas - Day 19 - in the campground

Wellington KOA, Wellington
Monday, 19 October 2020

I came here because of leaving tomorrow for a quick trip down to Texas to vote.  Well, quick in the sense that I'll be gone only for the 3 days it takes to drive down there, vote, and drive back.  I knew without looking (though of course I looked) that a drive like that would take me all day.

The fastest route I could find was to go pretty much straight down I-35, which is only a mile or so from the KOA.  But here in Kansas, I-35 is a turnpike and, of course, I don't go on toll roads.  So I'll be taking a little drive down state roads for 30 miles to get into Oklahoma, where I can pick up a free version of the interstate.  Then when I get into Texas I'll have to jump over to pick up US 75, which is what goes near Richardson.  I-35 itself skirts the western side of Dallas - too far away to just take it down and then use surface roads to cut east.

Google says it can be done in 5 and a quarter hours.  Adding on half again as much time gets me to nearly 8 hours of travel time - a full day.

I spent my time here doing chores and writing another post for the blog.  I really do try to stay caught up, even though I know it doesn't seem like it since the post I published today is from 4 days ago.

The campsite I chose here is just about the only one in the campground that's not very level, but it is the closest to the dog park and is the best for my problem children.  So I have a reservation here for a couple of nights after I get back from my voting trip, knowing I'll need some time to become unjangled from all that highway driving.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment