Saturday, October 31, 2020

Kansas - Day 31 & Day +1 - in the campground

Wellington KOA, Wellington
Saturday, 31 October and Sunday, 1 November 2020

I'd only intended to stay here until the 1st, but then I realized not only did I need to write a half dozen blog posts but also figure out where I'm going next.  I couldn't just check out without knowing which way to aim the RV when I hit the road.  Plus, I'd cut 3 days out of my month here in Kansas so I could run down to Texas to vote, and I'll be staying 2 months in Texas so I didn't mind overstaying my usual 1-month time.

I'm glad I stayed.  Not only did I get nearly caught up on this blog, but I also got some chores done and came up with an itinerary for the next week and reservations at campgrounds along the way.

I also saw what a difference the weather and date make in campground use.  I've stayed here at 2 other times during this month, and each time the campground was nearly full all the nights I was here.  This time I spent 3 weekend nights here and each of those nights there were fewer than a dozen camping groups here.  That includes folks with RVs, with tents, and using the KOA Kabins.

I spent Halloween in my traditional way: ordering in a pizza and watching the movie Soapdish.  With Sally Field and Kevin Kline and Robert Downey Jr. and Whoopi Goldberg and Elisabeth Shue and Garry Marshall, it's a spoof on soap operas and is just a hoot. 

When I got here on Friday, I noticed right away that there was a stray cat hanging around.  The campground worker said she just showed up, and he thought she'd been dumped here.  Over the 3 days I was here, I donated the tail end of a bag of Lily's food for her, and was glad I had when she chowed down.  She let me get close enough to pat her - she turned out to be very affectionate - and to see that she had several injuries, one of which I was afraid would get infected.  I suggested that the KOA call Animal Services when they open tomorrow, because she needs care and seems so sweet-natured she's likely to be easily adopted.  I guess it's just as well Lily's so territorial and has such a small space to be territorial in, because otherwise I'd be taking in a lot more stray kitties than I have room for.


No comments:

Post a Comment