Thursday, February 6, 2020

Louisiana - Days 4 & 5

Bogue Chitto State Park
Tuesday, 4 and Wednesday, 5 February 2020

I found out when I checked in that they were giving seniors a 50% discount on the camping fee making it $13/night, and when I went to my site I found it was level, all the roads were paved, and I got a wifi signal on my hotspot.  So I went back and added a couple more nights to my stay.

The drawback was that this place looks like prime deer territory, and one of the campground hosts assured me they were all over the place here.  Dexter, the Mighty Hunter, spends most of our walks searching for game, which terrifies me.

The campground road goes up and down mild hills, which is nice for exercise except Gracie just drags when we go up hills.  I keep telling her she's younger than I am and why should I be having to spend my energy pulling her up these hills when she's perfectly capable of walking up them herself.  Not that that makes any difference.

So our walks are with Dexter straining ahead to find prey, Gracie trying to see how slowly she can get away with walking, and me terrified a deer will show itself and Dexter will lunge after it and Gracie will wrap the leash around the back of my legs and lunge after it from behind.  I take them on 4 or 5 walks a day and I won't believe it if we can make it out of here without trouble.

This is a new campground, just opened 10 years ago.  Many campgrounds I've been in have posts at the entrance to each site with some kind of binder clip on them; each camper is expected to attach to the binder clip a card you get at registration with the date you're leaving, making it easier for staff to enforce overstays.  At most campgrounds the binder clips are in varying stages of decay and rust.  At this campground they're still so new the silver finish shines, and it's so unexpected I notice them all the way around the campground.

A flock of Robins here, and a flock of Mourning Doves, a pair of cardinals and a flock of chickadees.  Nice batch of birds.

I've spent these 2 days catching up on the blog posts, going through the tourist info I picked up days ago, and making plans and reservations for the next few days in LA.

When I booked us in for several nights here, I intended to do these things, but my main concern was the weather forecast.  We were supposed to get rain on Tuesday, and heavy rain plus lightning and thunder on Tuesday night and Wednesday.  I didn't want to drive in weather like that so decided to wait it out here.

We have had a little rain, but nothing like the 1"-2" that was predicted.  We've had some thunder today, but most of it's been at enough of a distance that it's not scaring Gracie much.  It's been muggy and warm, though, and I've had either the fan or the AC on since yesterday afternoon.  Crazy at this time of year but too hot without it.

Aside from the deer, though, it's a comfortable place to stay.


No comments:

Post a Comment