Thursday, February 27, 2020

Louisiana - Days 22 & 23

Colfax RV Park
Saturday, 22 and Sunday, 23 February 2020

It's so comfortable here that I decided to stay an extra couple of nights.  Their wifi signal is strong, it's well maintained, and almost everybody left early Sunday morning so I've got the only dogs here.  In fact, it's so comfortable I was ready to stay here the rest of the month, but I've still got places to see.

sunset my first night here, looking toward the Red River
This campground is all about birds, it seems.  There are birdhouses everywhere, all handmade.  Some are singles, some are duplexes, and some are condos.  I saw birds at the entrances to the houses several times.  In fact, I saw a blackbird that was clearly househunting - it put its head into each of the 9 openings in one bird-apartment building.

A flock of easily 100+ Red-wing Blackbirds seemed to have taken up residence.  After listening to them be raucous for a few hours and watching them swoop around and perch in this tree or that, I started thinking about Hitchcock's The Birds.

There were Mockingbirds and Cardinals and a pair of Bluebirds.

I saw at least 3 dozen White Pelicans floating in the Red River early each morning.  And there were usually several egrets over there all day.  Of course there were chickadees and sparrows and other birds, but these bigger ones really made their presence known.

One morning when the dogs and I were out I heard a Mockingbird singing at least 12 different songs in a row.  And right in the middle I heard a crow say Caw!  I really felt sorry for the crow to have such a completely unmelodic song, especially compared with the vast variety of a Mockingbird.

I was more than a week behind on my blog posts, so it was good to have some time when I could just sit and do some catching up with a decent wifi signal.  But the dogs and I walked every day over to the river and found some interesting signs there.

the Cane and Red Rivers join
just a few miles north of here, near Natchitoches

I don't remember seeing a sign like this before and
assume it's related to the dam operations just across the way -
didn't seem to bother the birds swimming around there, though

a south-facing view of the Red River,
boat ramp on the right, cypress tree in the foreground

I thought this sign was odd
partly because of all the boating hazards it describes and
partly because there's not a "the" in front of "Red River" in 2 places
This is a nice place.  I felt safe here, even when it was nearly empty.  Not too many lights, so I could sleep.  The camping area had large areas covered with mown green grass - perfect for deer - except it was fenced in all around, making deer unlikely, so I could walk the dogs in peace.  Each campsite was set a good distance away from its next-door neighbors; they could have put at least 40 sites here where they have 25, and I'm glad they didn't.  With the flatness of the concrete pad and the good wifi signal and the half-price admission, this place is hard to beat.


No comments:

Post a Comment