Sunday, February 23, 2020

Louisiana - Day 15

Chicot State Park
Saturday, 15 February 2020

Today, as my brother has reminded me, is my 2nd anniversary of being homeless.  Two years ago today I moved out of my mom's house and into the RV with 2 dogs and 2 cats and way too much stuff, and set about the very odd business of learning how to do with less.  Less space and so less stuff, because there's no room for more.  How to live in a place where things fall apart that I don't know how to fix, and no help just a phone call away. 

But I still don't regret it.  I've learned what I can do without and still feel comfortable.  I've seen things I've only read about and met some great people and learned a little about myself.  I wish I had a li-i-tle more room but otherwise am happy in my new home.

I spent the day in the campground, trying to find places for the dogs and me to walk where there weren't other dogs, figuring out where we might go next, and writing a few blog posts.  The one on the Whitney Plantation took a while to organize and clarify the photos and figure out what to bother posting about.  In fact, though I sometimes wonder where the day went, it all just takes time.

There's a Pileated Woodpecker somewhere in this park - in fact, at least 2.  I hear them hammering away at trees early in the morning.

I'm also starting to see lots of Blue Jays here, which I haven't seen very often before.  I know they can be a nuisance, but they're really pretty birds.

I saw that 5th wheel with the screened rear porch again.  This time I looked at it long enough to be able to look it up.  It's called a Titanium, a series now made by an Oregon company called Outdoors RV Manufacturing.  But those with the rear porch were available only about 10 or 15 years ago when Titanium was made by a company called Glendale, no longer in business.  I found this model described by someone as having a fiberglass rear cap, hinged at the top, that provided a roof over the deck, which had canvas/net side walls.  Glendale called it a Bug Room - not nearly as glamorous as it looked.  Because this room is attached at the rear, it's more likely to fit in a typical campground site - even with trees around - which can be a problem for slides and awnings on the side of an RV. 

In the other life I sometimes want where I don't have a dog that would ram himself through any barrier to get at a passing dog or deer or other critter, I'd love to have something like this.  In the life I actually have, I can enjoy seeing other people have that option.

These folks, by the way, were from Nova Scotia - Canada's Ocean Playground, according to their license plates.

It was very cold during the 2 nights we stayed at this campground and I was so very thankful I bothered to stop at Opelousas for propane.  I almost didn't because I thought the forecast was for warm nights and I still had a quarter tank left - but we'd have been awfully chilly if I'd done that.  Lucky.


No comments:

Post a Comment