Saturday, February 29, 2020

Louisiana - Day 29 (a bonus day)

Lake D'Arbonne State Park
Saturday, 29 February 2020

The campground is about half full, and it's apparently unusual to be that full because the host told me all these people are here for the annual croppie fishing tournament.  He said all the cabins are full because even professional fishermen come to this thing.

And indeed, it seems like at least half the campsites include a skiff on a trailer.

There are plenty of gum trees here along with the pines.  I know these are gum trees because of all the gumballs underfoot.  In fact, I've been seeing them throughout Louisiana, it seems.  In some places, the balls falling on the RV roof sounded like rain and it sometimes took me time to realize what was causing the noise, once I'd realized it wasn't raining.

At least one campsite here has several little kids in it, and all those kids shriek frequently.  It makes Gracie very unhappy and has really limited where we're able to walk.  She starts getting panicked when we're half a campground away from the kids, which means we never get to walk very far.  Good thing Dexter is good-natured.

Today I looked up from my typing and noticed a young person sitting in the roadway.  And when several older people came up to this person I realized it was someone who'd been skating and had fallen down.  It wasn't until I went over myself to see if any of my bandages would be useful that I learned, from her voice, that this person was a she.  With her very short hair and multiple tattoos and extra weight on her body, I genuinely couldn't tell. 

She turned out to have the same sort of injuries I keep getting - scraped knees and hands and elbows and thighs - looked very familiar.  I'd already used so much from my bandage supply on my own injuries I didn't have much to offer, but what I had turned out to be useful.  I need to spend some time in a CVS getting stocked up.

I suddenly realized the whole month has gone by and I've not yet posted a photo of a state license plate.  So here it is.


They use another version with just plain lettering and no pelican, but I think that's used for trucks and things, and not on cars.  This is what I see the most of, anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment