Friday, October 25, 2019

Kentucky - Days 15 - 19

Ohio County Park Campground
Tuesday the 15th through Saturday the 19th October 2019

route for Tuesday the 15th

Brady had assured me on the phone Monday afternoon that the new heater board had come in and we agreed to meet at 9:30 Tuesday.  When I got there, I found another client picking up his repaired 5th wheel (leaving Brady's driveway he ran into a ditch and knocked down a neighbor's mailbox - hope I don't meet him in a campground some day), but I didn't have to wait long.

It did take a while, though, to install the new board into my heater.  It came with directions to, without fail, hook up some system or other than Brady couldn't find on my heater, so he was on the phone several times with the company's tech service person.  Then he had trouble getting my original thermostat to recognize the new control board, and trouble even getting power to the various parts.  But he finally got it all to work and didn't charge me for all the time he used.  Nice guy, tries to be fair.  It doesn't make the same noises it used to make, but it provides heat like it used to, and that's what counts.  No more chilly floors!

I spent some time trying to find a recycling center I'd seen online, but when I did find it, it turned out to be a scrap metal recycler.  Kentucky's not real serious about recycling.  None of the campgrounds do anything about it and I have trouble finding public bins in most towns.  After awhile, it really crowds my toilet (I collect stuff behind the toilet till I can dump it).

Driving around town I stumbled on a plant making Ragu products.  Good smells in the air.  And just down the street I found the Glenmore Distillery (bourbon).

For some reason, the exit numbers have been changed all along the interstate from Ownesboro south.  They're now 2 off from what they were, and because online mapping programs haven't adjusted their algorithms, their directions aren't trustworthy.  Weird.

Back at the campground, I decided to stay until after the weekend.  Yesterday I found it almost impossible to locate a campground anywhere east of here for the weekend.  I even called the KOA south of Louisville where I started the month, and they only had a couple of spots available tomorrow - a Wednesday!  Campgrounds are always not too busy on Wednesdays.  The KOA said the whole campground was booked for this weekend because it was their Halloween celebration and people were flocking in.

I'd only considered leaving here anyway to get a stronger wifi signal, but it looked like I couldn't even get a campsite, let alone the wifi.  I'm comfortable here and I figure I can tolerate the intermittent signal.

I've found this to be an interesting campground anyway.  Ohio County Park seems to be heavily used by residents from the whole area, and there are plenty of facilities for them.  There's an amphitheater, fields for soccer and baseball, a basketball court and tennis courts, a rebuilt historic Fort Hartford, a couple of small playgrounds, the county senior center, a paved hike-n-bike trail, two large dog parks, a resident flock of Ruddy Turnstones (birds), a quilt square for the Kentucky Quilt Trail, a horse ring, 2 big multi-use buildings that can hold a bouncy house or an indoor horse ring or a band concert or any kind of gathering.  It's really no wonder so many people come here to this park. 

Saturday afternoon and evening there was a benefit shindig, though I wasn't sure who was being benefited, whether it was First Responders in general or one First Responder in particular.  They had antique cars (e.g. a '60s era Mustang - how can it be an antique if it's within my lifetime?), multiple motorcycles, a rock band (complete with off-key lead singer), an auction, grilled hamburgers and hot dogs.  I'm sure a good time was had by all.  I walked the dogs through the area accidentally, when all I intended was to find out what was going on.

The campground is small, but the sites are fairly well-spaced.  Most are shaded and level.  About half have electric & water hookups, and the rest have sewer as well.  It's quiet and pleasant and, of course, you can't beat the price.  Even on Saturday night there were only about 2 dozen campers, and most of those live there full-time.

But there's not really any advertising about it that I found.  I think I stumbled across it in an online search.  Good find.

It was really frustrating to sometimes take 5 minutes or more to copy a photo from my own files to the blog, and sometimes I couldn't get a signal at all.  But that was the only drawback to staying here and I'm glad I did.


No comments:

Post a Comment