Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Kentucky - Day 27 - Morehead

Carter Caves State Resort Park, northeast Kentucky
Sunday, 27 October 2019

[The font below is different than usual because it's from my word processing program.]

today's route
Morning in this campground was about as dreary, thanks to the overcast skies and drizzle, as the previous evening.  The good thing about it was that everyone slept late, including my next door neighbors who seemed to be companions of half the people in our part of the campground, and who had extra people arriving all evening to stay with them (I saw a large tent this morning beside their large camper, which explained where they put all those extra people).  They were only just starting to wake up when I got us on the road.

Natural Bridge and Red River Gorge
I was hit with a dose of reality this morning when I realized, according to park literature, that the fastest route to the Natural Bridge was a .75-mile trail, each way, with some steep climbs along the way.  And that pets were prohibited on the trails.

It was still drizzling off and on this morning, the ground was muddy and slick in places, and I honestly just didn’t want to make a 1½-mile round trip hike on uneven terrain if my dogs couldn’t even get the benefit of the exercise.

Natural Bridge (internet photo)
The Natural Bridge is something I’d really like to see though, and I’d like to come back sometime under different circumstances.  It’s a 900-ton natural sandstone arch suspended across a mountainside (per park literature).  It’s 65’ high and 78’ long.  And it’s by no means the only arch in the park.  Henson Arch is only a quarter-mile trek; there’re also Whistling Arch, Silvermine Arch, Hidden Arch, Whittleton Arch and dozens more.  There are also unusual rock formations – Balanced Rock being one of the better known.

Red River Gorge (internet photo)
Nearby is the Red River Gorge Geological Area, which can be reached by a roadway that winds around some spectacular gorge scenery, I’m told.  I planned to take that drive until I looked at a satellite photo and saw that it was a very narrow winding road.  I’m getting familiar with Kentucky’s roads by now and frankly didn’t trust that I’d ever be able to see any of the scenery, because of having to be so focused on driving safely where there would doubtless be other tourists (it’s a Sunday).

Sadly, I gave all that up and substituted instead a stop in the town of Morehead, along the road to my next campground.

The drive
I drove more than 100 miles today, most of it on the interstate.  And I have to say it’s the most beautiful interstate highway I’ve ever seen.  Rounded mountains covered to the tops with trees, all with leaves changing colors, occasional farms and small communities, occasional rock walls where the mountains have been blasted to make the roadway more level, black dirt where there’s no ground cover.  If we’d had full sun today, the beauty would have been staggering.

Morehead
I’m not sure what it was that drew my attention to Morehead, but when I looked into the notes I’d made doing research before this trip, I found a mention of a historical marker commemorating a feud war there so decided to take a look.

As so often happens, the online directions to the historical marker were sketchy (at best) and I wasn’t at all sure I’d be able to find it.  We drove into town, which was connected to the interstate by a long winding mountain road that was fortunately well-built and 2 lanes wide each way.

We drove around a little bit, and I finally pulled over into a parking area near the local Visitor Center figuring, even though they were closed, they wouldn’t get too upset about me stopping, being a visitor and all.  The dogs wanted to walk and it was lunchtime anyway.

I saw a row of these beautiful bushes as tall as I am. I’ve seen them everywhere I've traveled and have no idea what they’re called, but that color is just gorgeous.



And just around the hedge of these bushes at the Visitor Center was the historical marker – not at all where the sketchy directions suggested, but I’d found it anyway!  Very interesting message.

side 1
side 2












marker at the foot of the historical marker
(Gracie's rear end is blocking it)
There’s a more thorough account of this oddball feud at this link -  en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rowan_County_War  - though I think even this account leaves out too many details for the chain of events to make much sense.  In fact, as written, it makes the feud even more absurd.  Other accounts, though, think the roots were in leftover feelings from the Civil War, when Kentuckians were nearly evenly split in their loyalties. 

Nearby I found something else interesting that I’d never heard about – a Moonlight School (see below).  This historical marker explains a little bit about them and there’s more at this link.  www.appalachianhistory.net/moonlight-schools

Cora Wilson Stewart Moonlight School
explains the school

Right across the street from all this is the Kentucky Center for Traditional Music, which made me wonder - "traditional" meaning what?  Mountain music?  Classical music?  Rock & roll (traditional to my generation, after all)?  It turns out to be part of Morehead State University and sounds very interesting.  www.moreheadstate.edu/kctm

Unsurprisingly, Morehead is the home of Morehead State University, which is much larger than I expected, with 10,000 enrolled in several campuses.  It also has its own NPR station which, on Sundays, plays a lot of good bluegrass music.  An especially great one they played was “Richard’s Rag,” written and performed by Fiddlin’ Billy Hurt, which you can hear for yourself at this link.  https://www.youtube.com

I passed Root-A-Bakers Bakery, specializing in desserts. It took me a minute to figure out the pun (my brain seems to be slowing down).

To the campground
Once again, the directions to the campground were sketchy.  For some reason, the state of Kentucky provides lots of nice campgrounds and then refuses to say how to get to them.  People still manage – I managed – but it was partly a matter of luck.  And online programs weren’t a lot of help either.  Google refuses to acknowledge that the campgrounds are often a long way away from the business office or the resort lodge and won’t tell me how to get where I need to go.

And again, the roads today weren’t labeled as Google said they’d be and signs for the state park were only occasional, not always where I was supposed to make a turn.  For being only about 4 miles from the interstate, this park was hard to find.

When I did find it, I found a nice wooded park that was rapidly emptying out – folks going home after a weekend of camping.  A lot of them had left behind leftover food they’d dumped on the ground rather than take it home, something I've not really seen before.  The parks prohibit this practice – it’s not the help to wildlife that people seem to believe – but the whole time I was there I didn’t see anyone in authority at all.

The site I’d chosen online was about as uneven and unlevel as possible, with mud on either side of the broken pavement.  I spent at least 5 minutes trying to find some way to position the RV that we could live with for the night, and finally settled for the least undesirable of the choices.  I’d have been glad to move to another site since so many were empty, but with no ranger, I couldn’t tell which ones weren’t already reserved.  People often come in late – even after dark – so I couldn’t just take any old one.  So there we were.

Plenty of wildlife, too.  We saw lots of deer while we were here.  Nice to see them even though they make walking the dogs a lot harder.  Still, it was a pleasant environment and it was nice to find an emptied-out campground for a change.

And I managed to cap off the day by losing both my contact lenses.  I took both of them out of my eyes and put them in their case, but hadn’t put the lids on because I still needed to add the soaking solution.  That’s when I made a sudden movement that caught the case and flipped it completely over, and both lenses went flying out.

All I knew was that they were most likely somewhere in the bathroom.  Knowing they could be on my clothes or on my feet or anywhere on the floor, I moved extremely slowly and carefully.  My goal was to get to the closet to get the little flashlight I keep in a pocket of the reflective vest I wear when I walk the dogs in the dark.  And it’s the flashlight that found them.  They were both on the floor in the 3” wide gap between the sink and the shower stall, about 5” apart.  My relief was bottomless.

Odd day.


No comments:

Post a Comment