Friday, October 25, 2019

Kentucky - Day 20 - easterly drive

Taylorsville Lake State Park Campground
Sunday, 20 October 2019

today's route

I drove down to what's called the Western Kentucky Parkway, that I'd driven on 3 weeks ago when I first came to the state.  Driving east, I noticed that the leaves were changing colors, compared to my earlier drive.

I'm still seeing almost all cows at the farms I pass.  I do believe Kentucky's got a lot of horses, but I sure haven't seen more than a few.

I could see on the map that tonight's campground is in a rural area so stopped in Elizabethtown for several hours to do chores.

I found a recycling center (yea!) but it only let me recycle some stuff - no glass, no mixed paper - just cardboard, cans, and plastics #1 & #2.  But it helped.

Then I went to a laundromat that turned out to be closed on Sundays.  The online directions for that one insisted - as in refused to consider an alternative - that I drive around to the back of the building and walk through some trees and down a bank, rather than turning into the driveway like regular folks.  Not the first time something like that's happened. 

Found another laundromat that was extremely popular and every machine was taken.  But I snagged one as someone was emptying their clothes.  The machines were expensive but efficient and clean clothes are nice to have.

And finally I found a grocery store.  Kroger seems to have a near monopoly on the grocery business in Kentucky.  I'm not a fan, as you remember, but I have to eat and like Walmart even less.  So Kroger it is.

Driving through town I noticed that Elizabethtown, known as Etown to the residents, has a preponderance of brick buildings.  Wonder if they had a bad fire in the town's past.

I passed a sign for Las Chalupas Mex-Mex Restaurant.  That's a first for me.

Back on the road, I passed a Kentucky historical marker titled "Romantic 1825 Tragedy."  I didn't stop but looked it up and this is what I found.  https://www.hmdb.org/marker

Taylorsville (note the "-ville") Lake State Park is very spread-out with a variety of facilities.  I turned too soon for the campground and found myself on a road with signs saying "Road Ends In Water."  That sounded ominous but I thought it was the right road so kept on going.  I finally found the end, which I guess does end in water - it leads to a boat ramp into the lake and a largish parking lot.  Much better than the high water crossing I was envisioning.

Today being a Sunday, folks were clearing out of the campground so it was only about half-full by nighttime.  Seems a comfortable place.


No comments:

Post a Comment