Thursday, October 24, 2019

Jefferson Davis Birthplace

Jefferson Davis State Historical Site, Fairview


the memorial

the museum










The monument is positioned on the grounds almost where it looks like it's positioned here on the page.  It's 351' 8" tall, 200' shorter than the Washington Monument in Wash. DC (I asked).

Again, this is going to be mostly a photo essay.  The museum didn't have many artifacts in it, and I think most of them are likely in Davis's home in Biloxi (MS).  What I saw here primarily consisted of informational posters that cover much of his life.  (I thought the spelling and grammatical errors added to the charm.)

career highlights

early years

Davis's education

the first half of his military career
his wives




















2nd half of his military career

his brief US Senate tenure

Pres. Pierce's Secretary of War


Confederate president (part 1)
Confederate president (part 2)





































Davis's post-war life

While I was talking to the person working at the visitors' desk, someone local came in to talk to him too, and I learned a lot from their conversation.

The local was griping about someone who seemed to be making it his vocation to take down all public reminders of the Civil War.  My own feeling, which I stated to them, is that I don't think statues and such belong as public monuments glorifying so-and-so, but I do think museums are the perfect place to relocate them, and the worker and the local agreed with me.  But the local said the activist wanted to shut down this museum as well.

Then the local and the worker went into a cross-talk about how the states seceded mainly because of the states' rights issue and about what they perceived Jefferson Davis's relation with his slaves was and how they weren't really slaves because he trusted them and relied on them so much to run his plantation. 

I was stunned, because I've heard that people hold these opinions but had never heard anyone actually say them to my face before.  I didn't say, do you think the enslaved people working here thought they were free to leave and live their own lives?  I didn't say, if that's the way he felt why didn't he free them?  I didn't say, if that's the way he felt, why was he sworn in as president of the Confederacy even before shots were fired on Fort Sumpter?  And I didn't say, which rights did the states not have that weren't related to slavery?

When I first conceived of this trip of mine, I decided I wouldn't get drawn into discussions about religion or politics.  I still think that's the sensible way to do this trip.  But I wonder if it counts as politics to ask questions like those above.  Should I, next time, at least ask what they think.  Prudent of course not to question any further, but shouldn't these questions at least be asked?  Any ideas are gratefully accepted.


No comments:

Post a Comment