Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Kentucky - Day 31

Carr Creek State Park
Thursday, 31 October 2019

I spent today in the campground.  No wifi signal so I’ve been finishing up the blog posts on my computer’s word processing program.  When I’m writing these posts, I spend the majority of my time just writing.  I spend most of the rest of the time looking things up, and most of my frustration on trying to make the photos appear as I want them to look.  I can’t do the looking-up part without wifi, and I can’t do much about placing the photos because this program isn’t at all like the blog program, but I can at least get the writing done, and that’s what I’ve been doing.

It’s been raining off and on all day.  Rain was forecast, but I thought it was supposed to end early.  If so, that isn’t happening.  In fact, as the day went on, we started getting some really strong winds that blew the rain in hard sheets.  But I’ve got my umbrella and rubber boots (“John had great big waterproof boots on.  John had a great big waterproof hat.  John had a great big waterproof mackintosh.  And that, said John, is that.”  A.A. Milne).  And towels to dry off the dogs.  And a heater that’s working (yea!) to help us all dry off.  The dogs would rather walk, even in the rain, than stay indoors.  And because we have choices, it’s cozy here.

This campground has, as a primary attraction, a public beach on Carr Creek, which looks exactly like a river to me and nothing at all like a creek, but oh well.  They don’t want dogs on the beach so I don’t take them down there, but the parking lot there gives us a little more walking area.  Needed because this is a tiny campground – only 39 sites.  But my site is paved and completely level (for a change) and very comfortable.  Just no wifi signal.  Can’t have everything.

What it does have, according to the park ranger, is lots of deer and wild turkeys.  I knew there was something here because of the way the dogs both alerted this morning when we were out on our early walk.  Of course, "early" in these days of waning Daylight Savings Time and a sunrise around 8:00 AM (absolutely absurd – this is southern Kentucky, not Alaska) is a relative term, but it was about 6:15 AM or so.  I’m thinking it was maybe a turkey, just because they were both excited without being frantic, as they often are with deer.  It was still more than I could handle before coffee.

When I was choosing a route to take tomorrow into Tennessee, I’d planned to go through the Cumberland Gap.  Hard to beat the history of that route.  A young woman I talked to early in the month told me she’d driven through it, only to turn around and drive right back through again, just for the sake of doing it.  Which made perfect sense to me.

Except I learned accidentally, from a brochure I picked up at a Visitor Center a few days ago, that the route I’d be taking isn’t through the original Cumberland Gap.  Instead in the 1990s Kentucky, Tennessee and Virginia joined with the federal government to pay for and build the Cumberland Gap Tunnels (one southbound, one northbound) and remove the highway that had been built through the Gap and restore that area to approximately its late 1700s appearance.  More than 20 years since the Tunnels opened, people are now able to hike the Wilderness Road through the Cumberland Gap.  Of course, it’ll take a lot longer than 20 years for the forest to grow back to the density they’ve planned, but it has a lot more chance now that the road’s been removed than it did.

The Tunnels sound as if they’re a sort of series of tunnels, with cross passages for emergency access.  They have state-of-the-art ventilation, lighting and communication systems (their website claims) and closed-circuit cameras to keep an eye on things.  I’m guessing the reason they’ve got all this is that the Tunnels are 4,600’ long – quite a distance for an enclosed space like that.

As you know, I don’t do so well with tunnels, I think because they feel so confined with no elbow room for drivers.  The same problem I have with bridges.  I like to feel like I’ve got a little margin for error – especially in the large vehicle I’m driving.  So I don’t really want to drive for the best part of a mile in a tunnel – special lighting and air or not.  But I might do it anyway if it were really the original route for the Cumberland Gap.  Since it’s not, I can’t see forcing myself to do something quite uncomfortable.

Instead, I decided to go quite a few extra miles, but I’ll do most of it on wide, divided parkways and interstates.  Probably boring, but safer.


No comments:

Post a Comment