Sunday, January 12, 2020

Mississippi - Day 6

Santa Maria RV Resort
Monday, 6 January 2020

I spent today in the campground, mostly walking the dogs and trying to catch up on the blog and figuring out where I'm going next.

This is an odd campground, though I'm comfortable enough.  It has no ambiance whatever, being entirely gravel spread out in a large flat area.  But it's spread out enough to give us room to walk - which is a good thing because there are several large dogs living here, and it's not always easy to dodge them when we're out walking.

It's immediately next door to a large field where nearly a dozen cows are grazing, which I expected to be a problem with the dogs, given their extreme reaction to horses, but they've hardly seemed to notice them.  Thank goodness.

With all these large fields, I'm seeing a variety of birds, including a Peregrine Falcon, which is nice to see.  I would have figured this to be prime habitat for deer, as we're surrounded on the other 3 sides by wooded areas, but I haven't seen any.  The dogs alerted when we were walking in the dark early one morning, so there may have been one around, but it was only that one time.

The populated areas of the campground are well-lit, which I know is a plus - except that I've got one of those bright lights right over my RV, and there's so much light coming through the skylights at night that I have trouble sleeping.  Nice to know I'm safer, but I'd like to be safe and to sleep as well.  Picky, picky.

This afternoon while I was out with the dogs we saw 4 - count them, 4 - police cars pull up to the manager's office and then drive into one of the other areas of the campground.  And after a little bit, they all drove out again.  Of course, I wondered what sort of place I'd stumbled on, but I saw one of the employees that evening, and she told me they have an elderly man who lives in the campground alone, and his relatives worry about him to the point of having the cops haul him off to the hospital to be checked out.  Apparently he has some severe chronic health problems, but I wondered how I'd feel if that happened to me.  Nice that people care but I'd also like to make my own health care decisions.  Odd incident.


No comments:

Post a Comment