Friday, January 17, 2020

Mississippi - Day 14

Springridge Mobile Estates
Tuesday, 14 January 2020

I ended up not doing any sightseeing at all today, because it just poured rain all day long.  Really poured.  It was really hard to take the dogs out because they didn't want to go, but how long can they hang onto their bladders anyway?  And then I had wet towels hanging around the cabin with almost no chance of getting dry because it was way too warm to turn on the heater, but I didn't want to turn on the fan because the dogs were wet - I could never get them completely dried off, not having a hairdryer and a towel not being enough.

I worked on the blog and spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out where to go next.  If this campground had been any more pleasant, I'd likely have stayed here another day.  But the whole place is paved over, with elevated planters filled with holly and cedars to divide the spaces.  And as I said before, it's on a hill and I was getting tired of the doors in the RV's cabin always swinging wide open or refusing to stay open.  I'd really like a level spot for a change.  And they were charging me $30/night (Good Sam rate) for this ambiance, so I decided to head out somewhere else.

I can see on the weather reports that the rest of the country is going through the same weather patterns I've been dealing with, but that's not making it easier for me to take.  Honestly, I miss the nice normal winter weather I got in Connecticut and New Jersey and Delaware last winter - cold temps and a bit of snow and ice and just ordinary winter weather.  Instead, what I'm getting is a damp version of an ordinary winter in the South.  This is much like we got in Austin and it's just not my idea of what a winter should be.

Momma always said this weather is why she preferred to live in the South rather than the North - after growing up in Rhode Island, she'd had enough winter to last her a lifetime.  I'm the opposite.  After growing up in Texas, I've had enough warm winters to last me a lifetime.  Alaska and Washington state taught me winters can be cozy and challenging and winter-y.  And this winter in the Deep South is reminding me of all that.  Very useful.


No comments:

Post a Comment