Monday, January 27, 2020

Mississippi - Day 23

Delta Village Mobile Home and RV Park
Thursday, 23 January 2020

We spent the day in the "campground" along with torrential rains for much of the day.  The ground was already really waterlogged, and after a few hours of this weather we were nearly floating.  There was standing water everywhere.

This establishment is, as its name says, primarily a mobile home park.  It's quite large and well-kept.  They insist on no noise and low speeds.  The mobile home part of it is gated, so I guess they take security seriously.  At the gate there's an electronic sign that flashes constantly: to refer others and get $100; to keep the water connection dripping because of frost forecasts; to drive 12 mph; to remember that Jesus loves you and that God accepts trade-ins (I swear).  I know what it says because my site is at the end of the RV park row which is just before the gate, so that sign flashes into my living room day and night.

The entire park runs off a single road that runs like a spine into the park, though with bones branching off only on one side - the other side is a wild field.  So all the mobile homes sit along 1st St., 2nd St., 3rd St., and so forth, maybe 10 to a road, with each of those roads dead-ending at a mobile home.  There's no sidewalk along any of these roads, so walking the dogs is a challenge.

There's no shoulder on any road, which are just barely 2 lanes wide.  To keep the dogs out of the way of oncoming traffic, I have no choice but to step off the road - and on to the extremely soggy muddy ground.  The dogs say it's unpleasant for them, and even with my rubber boots I don't care for it much. 

The folks who live here actually live here, and they all leave for work spread over a couple of hours in the morning.  Five school buses come through the gate morning and afternoon to pick up and drop off schoolkids.  It's an extremely busy road at almost any hour of the day.

The alternative is to walk away from the gate toward the office and a few efficiencies and a "laundry mat" and large gravel area they rent out for trucks to park in.  That would normally be a fine alternative except with this weather, almost the whole area is underwater.  The puddles are so big they're nearly ponds and are several inches deep.

They're charging me $25/night cash or check only.  I didn't waste time trying to find another place to go, though, because I already know from when I found this place that there's almost nothing else in this area.  I guess campers don't want to come to the Mississippi Delta.

But there are lots of Robins that are all singing like it's Spring, so that's really nice.

I don't know if the campground has a wifi signal - they didn't tell me about one - but my hotspot gets a good strong signal so that's fine.  And I've only seen maybe 3 other dogs while I've been here, which is also fine.

But it's a weird place.


No comments:

Post a Comment