Thursday, March 7, 2019

Virginia - Day 4 - Maryland mattress mission

Prince William Forest RV Campground, Dumfries
Monday, 4 March 2019
today's route
The temperature went below freezing last night, and it's predicted to be even lower the next 2 or 3 nights and days, so I've decided to run up to Annapolis today to pick up my new mattress.  The store called me last Friday to tell me it had come in, but that was when there'd been a little snow overnight so I decided to postpone that trip in case of snow on the road.  Actually, today's morning TV weather (which I can pick up again at this campground!) said there'd been plenty of snow in DC's western suburbs, but the traffic report where I was going looked clear so I thought I'd take a chance.  I've gotten to be a master at U-turns, anyway.




And the roads turned out just fine.  You'd never know as much as a snowflake had even thought about coming down in the vicinity.  It took me less than an hour and a half from the campground to the Mattress Store parking lot, which still seems amazing to me since I couldn't go from Austin to Dallas in that amount of time.


All the pillows and bedding that had once belonged on my mattress got moved to every other flat surface that was off the floor so I could get the old mattress out.  Maybe you can see that it takes up the entire length of the cabin floor, from the driver's seat back to the step up to the bed/bath area.  So the main part of the cabin is the length of a queen-size mattress.  I didn't know that.

I also hadn't ever seen the surface my mattress was lying on.  Now that I can, it doesn't make any sense.  That surface was intended to be completely covered almost always by a mattress.  That hinge allows someone to get behind the breaker switch panel, which is on the front wall of that platform, just out of sight at the bottom of the photo.  The breaker switch panel has a door that opens out into the heater area/dressing room/refrigerator/trash can storage, so I'd expect the need to get behind the panel would be extremely rare.  So why did they put this finished panel on that side of the bed and very rough particle board on the other side?

It's half good: I don't have to be quite so concerned about covering up the space my new twin-size mattress leaves visible, because there's that relatively attractive surface.  But it's half not so good: my mattress can be turned over, and I paid extra money to get it because I expect to turn it over.  And that means I care about what happens to the surface of the mattress and don't want it messed up by the rough surface of the unfinished side.

I guess, until I figure out something else, I'll just keep underneath the heavy plastic that the mattress came wrapped in to shield the mattress from the particle board half.  I don't know, I might move the twin mattress more to the center of the space and put pillows or something to cover the unsightliness of the unfinished side.  I'll try things out for a bit.

I've been planning to use the double-size sheets and mattress cover I've been using on the twin bed, but on the drive back I decided to stop at a Target and get a new mattress cover.  While I was there I found some 100% cotton sheets on serious sale so decided to get those too.  The tags all say they'll fit mattresses 18" thick.  This new one is supposed to be 8" thick, but it turns out that's 8" between the seams.  The mattress poofs out above and below so it's actually closer to 11" thick.  My old one was less than 5", so this will be a real adjustment.  I hope I don't fall off during the night.

In the same shopping center as the Target is a Virginia state liquor store - they're called VA ABC.  In Virginia, beer and wine are sold in grocery stores and spirits are sold only in state-owned stores.  I found an interesting article about VA's liquor laws that also includes a list of the most popular brands sold, and information about VA Commonwealth University and the Flying Squirrels, and about the changing laws governing dry counties in the state, and just all kinds of things I'd never thought about.  Maybe it's the sort of information you know if you're from here.  And now you can too.  www.virginiaplaces.org/abc


No comments:

Post a Comment