Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Virginia - Day 16

Virginia Beach KOA
Saturday, 16 March 2019

I spent the day today in the campground, walking the dogs and trying to catch up on my blog, which I keep falling behind on.

I was very excited to see a bluebird - an Eastern Bluebird.  It's incredible how very blue they are.  Just seeing him raised my spirits.
Eastern Bluebird
Some folks in the campground have a rooftop tent that I hadn't seen before.  It's by Yakima and here's more information about it.  https://gearjunkie.com/yakima-car-vehicle-rooftop-tent.  I talked to the young woman who said they'd just bought it and were trying it out, that it was fine but colder than they'd expected.  Of course, the early morning temp was in the 30s, which probably didn't help.  The tent they used didn't look quite like the one in the website, and I think they had rigged up an extra tent that suspended from the platform holding the tent in the space underneath the part that sticks out from the car.  Makes sense, really, so they'd have someplace to sit that wasn't out in the open air.

The odd thing to me is they had Alaska license plates, and I figured they were military, but she said, no her husband had graduated from Anchorage High School.  Actually, that wasn't so odd, but the fact that another set of folks on the other side of the campground were also from Alaska was.  Since the campground is less than an eighth full, that seems like a lot of Alaskans for such a small sample.

I heard on the morning news that the Bucktrout Funeral Home in Williamsburg is adding a goldendoodle to its staff.  He's being trained as an emotional support dog.  Sounds very sensible to me.  They've named him Benjamin Doodle Bucktrout: Benjamin Bucktrout founded the business in 1759 and they say they're the oldest continuously operating funeral home in the US.  The dog is still a puppy and is still learning not to lick or chew at inappropriate times.  But what a cutie.


No comments:

Post a Comment